Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-06-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael A View Post
Very cool...how do you like that frame,was considering getting one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffav8 View Post
Car is coming along and looking good!! Keep at it.
Thanks!

Its been slower than I wanted but any progress is good.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:42 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Car is looking great!

Just a heads up. If you ever plan to use Speedtech's torque arm setup you are likely going to have some interference between the DSE subframe connectors and the crossmember section that ties into the torque arm. It installs above the subframe where it bolts to the belly of the car.

You can notch their cross member and make it work, but I ordered mine powder coated and had to have it redone due to the interference. Not a huge deal either way but something to keep in mind.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuguy View Post
Car is looking great!

Just a heads up. If you ever plan to use Speedtech's torque arm setup you are likely going to have some interference between the DSE subframe connectors and the crossmember section that ties into the torque arm. It installs above the subframe where it bolts to the belly of the car.

You can notch their cross member and make it work, but I ordered mine powder coated and had to have it redone due to the interference. Not a huge deal either way but something to keep in mind.
Good to know thanks! I'm running right now the triangulated 4 link (early generation gbar). I think it will stay put for a while. I love the IRS that use the gen5 stuff but need to keep an eye on the $$$.

Nick
Old 06-16-2017, 05:34 PM

Engine Mockup:

The Good
Mast Oil Pan fits nice
The engine fits
the steering rack clears the pan and rack.

The not so good:
Driver side header needs to be modified to make the steering connection. I know Speedtech makes a custom header but 1 primary tube modification and it will fit.

The crank pulley will interfere with the crossmember when i use the over drive LSA Pulley. The alternator is also very close. I will make pockets to fit these better.

I need to verify the Dirty Dingo low mount A/C will fit and then I can begin modification on the frame.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:05 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Nice update!!

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 07-05-2017, 07:09 AM

Been working on the header modification.

There was no room to go above. Not excited about the overall length and additional bends but for now its fine. I need to pinch some pennies and not buying $1500 headers is a good thing. i'll have my buddy tig them up but should have around $550 in them once done.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:57 AM

woah are the speed tech headers now $1500?

I will follow in your steps if that is the case. any luck with the dirty dingo bracket?
Old 07-05-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
woah are the speed tech headers now $1500?

I will follow in your steps if that is the case. any luck with the dirty dingo bracket?
Speedtech lists them on their site for around $1400 + shipping. i think summit has them for $1200.

They are beautiful but not in the budget right now.

I haven't mocked up the dirty dingo A/C yet. It looks like it will but will verify hopefully Friday.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:36 PM

Great project. Just wondering about the subframe motor supports you have with your Speedtech subframe. I will share Some issues I ecountered a few months back when I decided to change my oil pan.

Speedtech supplies two types of motor supports. For SBC, the motor supports length is the same on both passenger and driver side. However, with LS engine, the motor support on the driver side is a bit taller than the passenger side to shift the motor by 3/4 inch to the passenger side to allow proper fitment of rack and pinion.

So check your engine supports, if they are equel in length, it means you have the wrong supports for your application.

You could also contact Blake at Speedtech, he is very helpful and can assist you in sorting out such issues.

I am also interested in how the Dirty Dingo low mount AC will fit.

Good luck
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s
Old 07-07-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Z/28 View Post
Great project. Just wondering about the subframe motor supports you have with your Speedtech subframe. I will share Some issues I ecountered a few months back when I decided to change my oil pan.

Speedtech supplies two types of motor supports. For SBC, the motor supports length is the same on both passenger and driver side. However, with LS engine, the motor support on the driver side is a bit taller than the passenger side to shift the motor by 3/4 inch to the passenger side to allow proper fitment of rack and pinion.

So check your engine supports, if they are equel in length, it means you have the wrong supports for your application.

You could also contact Blake at Speedtech, he is very helpful and can assist you in sorting out such issues.

I am also interested in how the Dirty Dingo low mount AC will fit.

Good luck
Thanks! I did verify I have the right mounts. The header fitment is on me. I decided to use a "non" verified header combination with this frame. I wanted a 1 7/8" primary tube but didn't want to shell out the money for the full length ones speed tech offers. These are the hooker 2474HKR i purchased from Amazon for under $400 (I also had a $100 gift card) so i took the gamble on these. I knew the driver side was a long shot but it looks like it will work out.

I'm hoping to have the A/C verified today. I want to finish the fabrication stuff and get the floor and firewall finished.

Thanks Nick