Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,546 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro's 1969 502 Camaro View Post
Marty, this car just keeps getting better and better, love all the ARP hardware too.

Sandro

Morning Sandro

Thank you very much and since I really don't have time or the desire right now to build another car my plan is to update this car four or five times before it gets really nice paint. This way I can enjoy it and not worry about a new project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 03-12-2017, 08:15 AM

One thing that has always bothered me with old cars is how close the seats are to the dash. I remember as a kid my buddy's father built a set of set back plates so he could fit behind the wheel. He also built another set to lift the seat up an 1.5" higher for his daughter. All I need to feel comfortable is to slide the seat all the way back and a different dish on the steering wheel. However, if someone other then me were to drive the car and they happens to be taller then me they are going to want slide the seat back much further.

I was about to make a set when I noticed that Ricks Camaro stocks such and item. So I figure I might as well order them to see if I would like them. I did the passenger side first since the car was backed in on my lift and of course they made a big difference.

Quick test fitting and I determined I would need longer hardware. I just hate it when I come up short by a 1/4 of an inch. It's a good thing the local Sears is only one mile away. For now I picked four 1.5'' x 5/16 Grade 8 bolts so I could finish the project today.

From this pictures you can see just how much further back the seat is and when you sit in the passenger seat you no longer feel like your right on top of the dash. It's amazing the difference few inches will make.

Next up is to order all of the correct ARP hardware from the guys at Totally Stainless and of course have Mr Trim make me a set of trim pieces to cover up the set back plates. Hopefully something simple or maybe I will make a fiberglass piece and spray it with some wrinkle paint to make it look factory.

This pictures lets you see just how much of a difference these plates have made.

That's all for now folks.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale

Last edited by syborg tt; 06-22-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:02 PM

I finally picked up the new bolts from Fastenal now my seat studs will be the correct length.

Last edited by syborg tt; 06-22-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:35 PM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,343 Posts

Marty,

I sense a cohesive interior design plan unfolding before us.

Are you sure that's a good thing?

Skip
Old 03-19-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo mentis View Post
Marty,

I sense a cohesive interior design plan unfolding before us.

Are you sure that's a good thing?

Oh I've got a few thoughts spinning around in my head.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:43 PM

Wow, you wanted the seats further back than stock? Don't ever jump in my TA or any vehicle I drive without checking the seat first then. Compared to you, I sit on the steering wheel. I'm 6' with a 31" inseam, wear a 32/33 shirt, and can't imagine trying to drive the car with the seat all the way back.

Doing good work as always, Marty.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 04-30-2017, 12:48 PM

Nice updates Marty!

I hadn't seen the cage install - that looks badass!

I've been slammed with this LSA install on my SS.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:40 AM

I can finally start updating again as I have been fighting with my old hosting company ( Site5 or should I call them sh!t5 ) as they locked me out and would't let me access my sites.

So if you are in need of web hosting stay away from site5 - they suck !!!

Last edited by syborg tt; 06-22-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Wow, you wanted the seats further back than stock? Don't ever jump in my TA or any vehicle I drive without checking the seat first then. Compared to you, I sit on the steering wheel. I'm 6' with a 31" inseam, wear a 32/33 shirt, and can't imagine trying to drive the car with the seat all the way back.

Doing good work as always, Marty.

lol it's more for the taller guys with long legs that I slid the seats back. I'm only one click back from stock and it feels great.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:26 PM

Moving on the front suspension.

First step was to clean it and the start taking it apart so I could install the ARP bolts with stainless Nylock nuts.

We also needed to cut the ears out of the spring pockets as there was some interference with the Ride-Tech shocks. While I was in there we sprayed a little Eastwood chassis black rust inhibitors up in the pocket.

There's a good story here but make sure you buy at least two of them if you need to finish a project.

Yes we bought two on the 2nd trip.

That would be Mike cutting and getting metal shavings all over him.

The ARP hardware was supplied in kit form from the guy's at Totally Stainless. Very nice and it helps to keep you organized while your working on the car.

We're all good now. Time to start the assembly.

Bummer steering box bolts area little short.

Moving on.

We had to drill out the sleeves for the ARP Bolts as the 1/2 bolts would not slide through the sleeve.

That silver you see is this nightmare sh!t. Just ask Mike and no Mikey doesn't like that anti-seize at all.

Last edited by syborg tt; 06-22-2017 at 09:01 PM.