Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 07-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
For anyone that may want to do this in the future, do you have the part number for the controller you used?
The part number for the PWM controller I used is: FOMOCO 6E53-8C609-AA

the Corvette P/N that I have for the controller is: 10377609

These two controllers look identical except for the printing on them.

I suggest reading through this series of posts, there is a wealth of info there. It is a bit long but in my opinion worth it. There is info there for the connector and related items.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=40215
Old 07-02-2017, 08:43 AM

I read through quite a bit of the other thread but didn't see this asked...

Is this method of controlling the fans better than using a fan module from one of the wiring or radiator companies?

Jeff-
Old 07-02-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
I read through quite a bit of the other thread but didn't see this asked...

Is this method of controlling the fans better than using a fan module from one of the wiring or radiator companies?

Jeff-
I really cannot say whether it is better than an aftermarket controller. Better is subjective; this method requires an ECU, whereas most aftermarket controllers are stand alone. PWM or pulse width modulation, has the advantage of being able to run the cooling fan(s) only as much as they are needed and that can be programmed, as I did in my Holley HP ECU. I do believe there are some aftermarket PWM controllers out there. Many, if not most, new cars use PWM controllers because It is more fuel efficient as well as extending the life of the fan(s), not to mention quieter than having a fan roaring at high speed when it is not needed. Hopefully others will chime in as I am far from an expert. Larry
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry R For This Useful Post:
Ellis6 (08-15-2020)
Old 07-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry R View Post
I really cannot say whether it is better than an aftermarket controller. Better is subjective; this method requires an ECU, whereas most aftermarket controllers are stand alone. PWM or pulse width modulation, has the advantage of being able to run the cooling fan(s) only as much as they are needed and that can be programmed, as I did in my Holley HP ECU. I do believe there are some aftermarket PWM controllers out there. Many, if not most, new cars use PWM controllers because It is more fuel efficient as well as extending the life of the fan(s), not to mention quieter than having a fan roaring at high speed when it is not needed. Hopefully others will chime in as I am far from an expert. Larry
That basically covers it.

Andrew
Old 07-09-2017, 03:38 PM

Same topic, new issue. My A/C was not performing up to what I thought it should and since I am short of time I took it to a reliable A/C man. He checked everything over and discovered it was slightly over charged and took care of that. He also noticed the compressor laboring and decided to unplug the jack to my A/C transducer which is in my PWM circuit. Immediately the fans sped up and soon the A/C was performing as it should be. This is good, but I am trying to understand why the fans would go to full or near full RPM when the transducer was unplugged. I tried this at home with the same results. I can and will change some of the parameters in the input/output PWM page of my HP ECU to get the fans to come on sooner, but would like to understand why the above happened. Any input will be appreciated. Larry
Old 11-08-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry R View Post
Same topic, new issue. My A/C was not performing up to what I thought it should and since I am short of time I took it to a reliable A/C man. He checked everything over and discovered it was slightly over charged and took care of that. He also noticed the compressor laboring and decided to unplug the jack to my A/C transducer which is in my PWM circuit. Immediately the fans sped up and soon the A/C was performing as it should be. This is good, but I am trying to understand why the fans would go to full or near full RPM when the transducer was unplugged. I tried this at home with the same results. I can and will change some of the parameters in the input/output PWM page of my HP ECU to get the fans to come on sooner, but would like to understand why the above happened. Any input will be appreciated. Larry
Bringing this back up to the top, as I started playing with the ECU (Dominator) programming.

Larry, is it possible that the values for the transducer is a bit off? So the ECU is reading the pressure lower that it actually is?
Old 11-08-2017, 09:33 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
Bringing this back up to the top, as I started playing with the ECU (Dominator) programming.

Larry, is it possible that the values for the transducer is a bit off? So the ECU is reading the pressure lower that it actually is?
I'm sure Larry will chime in, but as I recall, he ended up having some wiring issues, which I helped him resolve, and it's all working as it should now.

Andrew
Old 11-08-2017, 09:52 AM

Thanks Andrew. It would be nice to know what kind of wiring issues Larry was having.