Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 11-30-2016, 11:49 PM

Default EFI/Turbo info

Hi all,

I am building a 69 Camaro Pro Tour car, and want to search info on EFI and twin turbo setups.
I will be using an LS power plant, maybe a 5.3 truck engine or ?
From what I have read so far, it seems that the Holley Dominator system would work well. I live in an area where, a tuner is not really much of an option, so I am looking for a system that can "learn" on it's own, and not destroy the engine when I drive it.
I am not asking for you all to give me a "list" of parts (although that would be awesome), but rather point me in a direction where I can read posts on here or elsewhere, about how to assemble the parts I need, and what to use to build a decent 700/800 HP LS engine that is TT.
I'm trying to stay on a budget under 6K to 7K, if that's possible.
I will likely be using an auto trans 4l60 or 4l80.

Thanks for any help in pointing me in the right direction, or recommending search phrases I need, to find info.
Heidts Pro G IRS/ Heidts Pro G Front
DSE mini tubs
TMI interior
4L80E
6.0L TT? Maybe
https://www.facebook.com/Angry-Johnn...?ref=bookmarks
Old 12-01-2016, 12:20 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Man I could go on for days. Look through my thread. Specifically the last year. I can get part numbers easily for all Holley stuff.

That budget for everything or turbo only? You'll eat that budget quick.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 12-01-2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
Man I could go on for days. Look through my thread. Specifically the last year. I can get part numbers easily for all Holley stuff.

Turbo and EFI system budget. I figure the long block could just about be a pull out cast iron block from a salvage yard, and then freshen it up.
I'll look for your thread!! Thanks!
DSE mini tubs
TMI interior
4L80E
6.0L TT? Maybe
Old 12-01-2016, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post

William, I don't suppose you happen to be on FGCC (First Generation Camaro Connection) Facebook page are you?
DSE mini tubs
TMI interior
4L80E
6.0L TT? Maybe
Old 12-01-2016, 04:34 PM

My opinion...

Get an iron block engine. I don't believe that the displacement is very important since you are going to be using turbos, they will make up for a lot of displacement.

Remove the rotating assembly, put in main studs, rod bolts, and head studs. Have the rods honed as the new bolts will usually distort them. Same with the mains. Might as well balance it as well.

If you want to stick to your budget, go with a single turbo. Sucks, but twin turbos means 2 of everything. Even with ebay equipment you will blow that budget.

I don't know whether or not self-tuning efi will be able to adjust properly for turbos. I would use the original GM computer and haul it to the nearest tuner. It will be much cheaper and the original computer is more than capable.

Your money will be tied up in things like injectors to handle the power, ARP bolts/studs to help hold the engine together, and other little things. Use the turbo(s) to get your power. You can use Garrets turbo calculator to get an idea of what size of turbo(s) you will need, then purchase whichever brand suits your fancy. Quality and price tend to go hand in hand, however there is a large amount of people on the turbo forums who have $300 turbos pushing large amounts of power and, generally, reliable. Sure a couple have had things like oil seals and such go out, but for $300 you can get another.

I think your budget is do-able, but only if you do a single turbo with reliable components. Turbo is possible in the budget, but you'd have to deal with less reputable parts. Riskier, but not impossible.

Either way, that's my opinion. My build started the same, junkyard 6.0 with a single ebay turbo but snowballed. I've got a forged bottom end iron block 6.0 now, which will end up seeing a couple turbos down the road.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the info!!!

Well, I will likely bump the budget higher..haha
I'm not against going to a tuner. I suppose Denver (400 miles) or maybe Billings MT (100 miles) might have a tuner available.
I'm staying on the milder side of things. I think a 5.3 truck engine should be had fairly cheap, and could easily handle 700 HP. I hear you about studding the engine, and yes, I would have it balanced, since it's apart anyway. I actually have a decent machine shop where I live (so I heard). He does have an engine dyno, but I'm not sure if he is hip on LS EFI tuning, I'll have to talk to him.
DSE mini tubs
TMI interior
4L80E
6.0L TT? Maybe
Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 PM

Pretty much all of the EFI systems out today are self-learning. BUT they're learning to a fuel map that you set up. What that means is that you fill out a table of air fuel ratio targets for RPM and load points, and the EFI system uses feedback from the O2 sensor to adjust the fuel so that it is close to the AFR targets you set. The nice thing is that if you can find someone else that has tuned a somewhat similar engine, you can get their map and make yours similar as a starting point.

Once you have it running reasonably well, you would probably be very happy with the results you'd get from a good tuner. Getting the timing dialed in across the RPM and load points is where you can get great cruising driveability, and they'll also get your wide-open throttle dialed in of course. A great excuse for a road trip!
Old 12-01-2016, 10:44 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Mitch hit it dead on.

I do have a fgcc account. I see you sent me a request. Feel free to hit me up and I'll do my best.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 12-02-2016, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the help guys!!!
DSE mini tubs
TMI interior
4L80E
6.0L TT? Maybe
Old 12-02-2016, 08:47 AM

There are a ton of benefits to the Holley setup over any other. Besides the engine tuning, it has one of the best boost controllers available, water/meth control, and the ability to use the Davis traction control box. So break that down. Better boost control than the $500-ish stand alone units, better water/meth control than the $250-ish units, and basically a $4000 Profiler traction control unit for an additional $600-$1000, all integrated and user programmable from one unit. I have one customer car that uses 8 EGT probes that are constantly monitored and can shut down, reduce boost, etc when a threshold that I programmed is reached. I can do that for any sensor that is used on the Dominator, and data log it all. BTW, also controls the GM trans and allows you to change and set all trans parameters.

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

"I own a Mopar, so I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't actually fit without modification."

Last edited by CJD Automotive; 12-02-2016 at 08:50 AM.