Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 07-12-2016, 06:12 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default 383 DCR and quench questions

I've gotten my heads and cam back from Ai for my 383 and am working on selecting pistons. I've been reading about DCR and quench etc in an effort to know what I'm spending my money on and how it's going together or should go together. I've been using the calculator found here to calculate DCR for my engine https://www.uempistons.com/index.php...tors&type=comp. I've compared it to other calculators and the values are all close.

From what I've been reading I need to keep DCR to a max of 9:1 and quench between .050 and 0.035 inches for optimal results in a street engine running 93 octane fuel. I'm having a hard time achieving these numbers based on the parts Ai has sent me to use, and I'm not sure what's the best way to adjust in order to achieve these numbers.

I was wanting to use Mahle flat top pistons with four valve, 5cc valve reliefs as I've heard good things about these pistons. If I do this though, I end up with a DCR way over 10:1 using the gaskets Ai sent and zero decking the block. The only way I can get the DCR down is to use a 0.050 thick head gasket and leave the piston in the block 0.020 inches. That doesn't sound ideal.

I can use different pistons obviously, it just brings me back to not knowing what's the best way to adjust so that I can bring DCR down to an acceptable level yet some how maintain good quench. Is there such thing as going with too thick of a head gasket? Should I definitely zero deck the block and use dished pistons? Does it even matter so long at DCR is achieved? Any help is appreciated.

Relevant info is as follows:
Fully forged 383
6 inch rods
will receive a 4.03 bore
block is undecked so far
currently have 0.026 thick, 4.11 bore head gaskets
57 cc minimum combustion chamber heads according to Ai's info
Cam has a 110 LSA +5.9 adv, intake closes at 61.1* ABDC, and advertised duration is 269.8* Duration at 0.05 is 234.9/244.2 if it's needed.

I did a quick search on Summit just to see what else is out there. DSS makes a piston with a 13cc dish. Combined with a 0.04 gasket and zero decking, I can get a 8.9:1 DCR. Or, use the 0.026 gasket and leave the piston in the block 0.010 inches and have a 9.1:1 DCR. No idea on quality of the pistons. I'm just using them as an example.

So what would you do? I'm probably over thinking this as always.

Thank you!

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 07-12-2016, 01:37 PM

Trey, quench is a great tuning tool to achieve desired results in an engine. For a sbc, .035 to .040 works well. I see nothing wrong with 10:1 compression in your engine, especially with aluminum heads. We have 93 octane available around here every 5 miles or so...

Tell me about the ignition system that your going to run in the new engine, from the time of first start up.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 07-12-2016, 01:59 PM

From what I understand, the better you get your quench, the more compression ratio you can run safely...
Old 07-12-2016, 03:52 PM

Are you stuck with that camshaft? It seems like rather than playing with your static compression ratio, you should just build your motor with the static compression ratio you want and then get the camshaft with the proper timing events you need to get the desired DCR.

I had an LT1 that had over 11:1 that ran on the crappy 91 Octane where I live. Granted it had a relatively large solid roller, but no issues.

David
Old 07-12-2016, 05:04 PM

Thanks guys.

The cam is one that's spec'd from Advanced Induction as part of their heads/cam package for LT engines. They recommended 11.25 to 12:1 SCR with this combo to produce the desired/claimed power. And, yes, it will work with 93 octane. I, wanting to understand what all is going into my engine and how it works, am digging deeper instead of just throwing it together. That's when I started looking into my DCR numbers and realized they would be well over 10:1 if I went with the Mahle pistons I was going to use. The SCR would be 12:1 with those pistons. Everything I'm reading says that can't work on 93 octane as the DCR is way too high. Yet, Ai has proven results and is one of the best in the country with LT1/4 motors. They charge a premium and get it for a reason. So do I just build it like they say and stop worrying about it or try to understand what's going on?

I haven't asked Ai about any of this. I guess I should. Part of me says they aren't responsible for educating me on engine theory. Another part of me says I spent a lot of money for their parts.

I'll be running the factory opti spark, Scott. I honestly didn't even think about upgrading it. Should I consider an MSD box?

Old 07-12-2016, 11:37 PM

Trey, your over analyzing the whole deal, just like an engineer...kidding bro.
Quench, when set up properly, gives you the ability to run as much compression as possible with the given fuel available. For one, it puts the incoming fuel air mixture into a turbulence, by forcing the mix over into the chamber. The turbulent air mixture will actually add a cooling effect in the chamber, allowing more compression, and burning more efficiently. Secondly, the closer the quench, the more the cooler piston cools the warmer head quench area. Both of these qualities aid in a more efficient combustion process, and a more efficient chamber will allow for a higher compression ratio.
Ignition timing, and the ability to control/adjust it plays into the role of combustion greatly, which is why I asked about what you are using. If the lt engines had a weak link, it was the factory opti. Personally, I'd set it up with an adjustable ignition box. Definitely not a have to have item, but useful in controlling a possible detonation problem, if you put too much DCR in the engine, which I don't think you are.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

Old 07-13-2016, 08:37 AM

No, you're most likely correct, Scott. I'm either overthinking it or just simply not fully understanding. I like to know why and how when I build things and that can lead to confusion.

I've never had a problem with the opti sparks on my LT1 engines though it is the weak link in the entire design. I'll probably add an MSD box and coil to the system though just to ensure I'm getting a good hot spark.

So you think I'd be fine using 93 octane with a tight quench and a DCR pushing 10:1? That's basically what I'd have with an SCR just under 12:1.

I've emailed Ai to see what they will say as well.

Thanks Scott

Last edited by WSSix; 07-13-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
No, you're most likely correct, Scott. I'm either overthinking it or just simply not fully understanding. I like to know why and how when I build things and that can lead to confusion.

I've never had a problem with the opti sparks on my LT1 engines though it is the weak link in the entire design. I'll probably add an MSD box and coil to the system though just to ensure I'm getting a good hot spark.

So you think I'd be fine using 93 octane with a tight quench and a DCR pushing 10:1? That's basically what I'd have with an SCR just under 12:1.

I've emailed Ai to see what they will say as well.

Thanks Scott

Trey, I think so. Keep in mind that the tighter the quench, the more efficient the chamber, the more compression you can run. Of course you have limits on how close you can get the piston to the head, and if you get the quench too close, you end up with piston to head contact. .030 is about as close as most builders dare to go, even with top tier crank and rod assemblies.
I'd go with it, and play with ignition timing as necessary. My plan "B" would be pulling up to the pump that sells E85...
Let us know what AI says. After all, they sold you the stuff.

Thanks Dad!!

Old 07-14-2016, 08:12 PM

Ai got back to me today and their response was that there are more important factors than just DCR. Cylinder pressure for one is more important. Also, ensuring I have a clean air mixture, ie no oil ingestion, is a part of the equation. So I'm no too concerned with it any more. I'll trust these guys and what they're telling me. They've done this many times before. I'm going to shoot for an 11 to 11.5:1 compression ration. That's .5 to 1 higher than stock. I'm sure I'll be fine since I'm fully forged and we seem to have pretty good gas in this area.

I do wonder if I should go ahead and plan for a catch can on the PVC line. Historically, LT motors don't have the oil ingestion issue LS motors do. I guess I can always add it later if I end up needing one.

Also, anyone know of a quality forged piston I can run that has a 10 to 13cc dish? I'd like to keep my quench tight. Those DSS pistons I found on Summit I don't know anything about. Mahle, SRP, and Wiseco all only have a 5cc piston or a boosted application piston from what I can find.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by WSSix; 07-14-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:07 PM

I may be late to the party, but...

Just make sure you get a d-dish piston to maintain quench. I put cheapo Keith Blacks in my truck 357 to get to 9.7 with good quench. For a 383 I'd think there have got to be lots of options.

I would put a catch can from the start, too. You know it's clean on a fresh build, why wait to see if it gets oily when you can just prevent it?