Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 11-05-2015, 09:41 PM

Default Track width and wheel fitment double check help needed.

I need a bit of help before I order my wheels.

Car:
69 Camaro
Ridetech upper/lower strong arms
Ridetech tru-turn kit with spindle
Wilwood big brake kit 140-12271-D (Wilwood states +0.38" wider with kit, I assume per side)

I got everything mentioned above on the car and measured wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface in the front with the suspension hanging. I squared the rotors by measuring the front and rear and adjusted until they were even.

Wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface was 60" even.

Questions:
  • What is the stock disc brake WMS to WMS measurement in the front? (I've searched, but find conflicting reports)
  • I plan to run 18x8 front with 5.25" backspace (4.875" standard fitment, plus 0.375" from Wilwood extra width), is this the proper train of thought?
  • I believe the parts I took off (SSBC 2" drop spindles, disc kit) measured 59.5", but I can't remember. It may have been 57.5". Does this sound reasonable?

The rear wheels will be 18x12 5.5" BS. CCW D110, gloss black lip, satin black face. The plan is to put them under the car (which is now mini-tubbed) and measure WMS to WMS in the rear and order the rear end (Chassisworks G-Link). Tires to be 245/40/18 and 335/30/18 BFG Rival S.

Brake Kit:
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...no=140-12271-D

Suspension/Car Pics:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psr6ngvize.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psm9ppugo5.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...pssmglfkwr.jpg

Wheels (not ordered yet):
Old 11-06-2015, 11:49 AM

Why only an 8 inch wheel. You can fit that without the tru turn?
Old 11-06-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwylie View Post
Why only an 8 inch wheel. You can fit that without the tru turn?

I like the look of the smaller wheels in the front and larger ones in the rear. I ran 255's in the front and 315's on the rear of my last Camaro. Plus, I can sell 18x8's to a lot more people if I ever want to change it up.

I have so many variables going on with the car, that I don't want to risk complications (this is my first build like this). In the future, re-hooping the inside barrel to get an inch or two would only cost me a couple hundred bucks and I could measure the car to make sure they fit exactly before I do it.

Any input on the questions I posed? I would really like to get the wheels on order.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:15 AM

Any more input?

I'm mainly wanting to know if the Wilwood track with increase is PER SIDE or TOTAL if anyone has any direct experience with this kit or a similar from them.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:36 PM

I can't offer any advice on the fronts, you probably need to contact Ridetech about that. However, I can tell you a bit about the the rear end width. I have 18x12 5.6"bs wheels with a rear end width of 57" wms to wms and rolled fender lips. Based on my experience, a 5.75" back space would be a slightly better fit in the wheel well with the 57" rear. But since you already have the 18x12 5.5" bs wheels I would recommend a 56.5" rear end width. But don't take my word for it, you need to mock your wheels up under your car and verify what fits your body. Also, since you are buying a new rear anyway, please take the time to at least look into a full floating hub style rear end because there is little to no difference in price between floater and non-floater.

BTW, PM me before you order the G-Link and I can give you some advice that will save you money and frustration with that suspension.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"
Old 11-23-2015, 09:51 AM

I am glad to see this has been posted up. Your front end setup is pretty much identical to mine TheBlurLS1. I just switched over to that and put my existing 18x8 4.75 BS (245/40 18) wheel tire on it and can definitely confirm they will not fit. To be honest I am not so sure if the 5.25 will fit either (well at least on my car).

Some additional notes for me: stock sub frame and inner fender well.

I would actually like to get 275's on the front. Unfortunately my car is in the body shop so I can't do the measurements right now. Would love to get a 275/35 on a 9.5 rim into the front w/out moving the inner fenders. I realize this might be a pipe dream though.

Keep the info coming guys it is very helpful.

Oh and Yes I am a Brewmaster.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobrewmaster View Post
I am glad to see this has been posted up. Your front end setup is pretty much identical to mine TheBlurLS1. I just switched over to that and put my existing 18x8 4.75 BS (245/40 18) wheel tire on it and can definitely confirm they will not fit. To be honest I am not so sure if the 5.25 will fit either (well at least on my car).

Some additional notes for me: stock sub frame and inner fender well.

I would actually like to get 275's on the front. Unfortunately my car is in the body shop so I can't do the measurements right now. Would love to get a 275/35 on a 9.5 rim into the front w/out moving the inner fenders. I realize this might be a pipe dream though.

Keep the info coming guys it is very helpful.
Thanks for this information!!!!

Do you have postive camber or very little negative camber in the front end?

I see where people run from 4.5" to 5" BS on 18x8" wheels. I'm thinking if I lean toward the 5" BS, then add the +0.31" additional offset from the Wilwood brakes, then it will put me at 18x8 5.31" backspace. Round up to 5.375" (5-3/8").

That will give me the best chance at not hitting the fender. I can always use a spacer to move it out if I have excess outside room.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:34 PM

I am running -1.1° Camber, so mild but about right for street driving.
The picture is with my old spindle setup which was at least 1/2" further in with the 18x8 4.75 BS, 245/40's.
I can tell you that the Wilwood hubs alone are + 0.28" ea., plus whatever the hat thickness difference is.
Attached Images

Oh and Yes I am a Brewmaster.

Last edited by Motobrewmaster; 11-23-2015 at 09:43 PM.