Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 07-03-2015, 09:00 PM

Default Help me build my 5.3 Vortec

So I recently bought a 5.3 Vortec motor for my 64 El Camino . I am a complete newb when it comes to the Vortec and LS motors but have been reading all I can . Current plans are to ditch the 862 casting heads and ad some 243's ( I believe I have these purchased at this time) . Beyond that I am not really sure , I have read that the 243's need to be decked a bit to keep compression on the 5.3 up especially since I have no plans to put any boost on the motor so this is on my list of things that may be done .

I have also read that the truck intake is pretty tough to beat no matter how ugly it is so my plan was to buy or build a cover for it but again if there was a cost effective upgrade I would Love to look at it .

Not sure what I am going to need to do for an accessory drive but I have been looking at the ICT Billet kits , anyone have any experience with these ?

I am going to use a adjustable bracket with stock motor mounts for a mounting solution but haven't decide for sure what I am going to use there .

For an oil pan I am thinking the Holley 302-2 should fit fine .

I don't have any idea on exhaust but would like something mid-length so I can keep the exhaust tucked up as high as possible .

Last but not least is a cam to take advantage of the heads and exhaust upgrade .

In a perfect world I would hope with a decent tune I will be making 350+ HP with a pipe dream number being 400 HP with decent gas mileage and street manners .

Any help you guys could give me on this adventure would be great and I look forward to learning more and seeing things I may have missed .
Old 07-05-2015, 12:11 PM

I had my 243s milled and went with .040 head gaskets to boost compression. Plus had a custom cam ground from Geoff at engine power systems. Got 218/222. W .597/.598 lift. I only have 2400 stall. And 3.42 gears When I put my t56 in I'll go more radical
1950 international l110
1993 mustang gt

Last edited by hifi875; 07-05-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:52 PM

Use the truck intake if it will fit.

Get a afm/dod delete kit (no matter what).

Ls2 timing set/front cover (if you want to ditch the vvt).

Custom cam, because off the shelf and stock alphabet soup cams aren't worth the hassle of the install. You can get custom vvt cams, too, so you can keep the vvt if you want.

Upgrading the vvt cam requires a cam phaser limiter that costs about the same as all the parts of switch to a non-vvt cam, so it's really just personal preference on whether or not to keep it. Just don't get rid of it because you think you have to.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post

Custom cam, because off the shelf and stock alphabet soup cams aren't worth the hassle of the install. You can get custom vvt cams, too, so you can keep the vvt if you want.

Upgrading the vvt cam requires a cam phaser limiter that costs about the same as all the parts of switch to a non-vvt cam, so it's really just personal preference on whether or not to keep it. Just don't get rid of it because you think you have to.
thanks for not confusing the guy david.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 07-08-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:

Do all the 5.3's have VVT? If it does I would definitely keep the VVT if you aren't going to add boost. It's a great tech that adds power down low. Texas Speed and MAST are the two big guys getting great results with VVT cams. As David said, cost is the same between getting rid of VVT or a custom cam for it, but the power gains will be best keeping it if your tuner is comfortable with it. I went through this same decision myself and ditched VVT only because I was adding an LSA blower and there wasn't a good way to fit a water pump over the bigger cam cover that worked w/ the LSA blower.

I'd be concerned w/ running a big cam and thinner gasket/milled heads and piston to valve clearance. Obviously it can be worked around, just adds another "thought" to the process.

How much is a billet accessory drive? I assume you went w/ a 5.3 due to cost, so seems odd to me to spend so much on drive? You can get a GM vette accessory drive for like $500, but obviously won't look as cool as aftermerket/billet. If you have VVT you'd need to run truck or L99 accessories to clear it. That could be a concern w/ the aftermarket one too.

I've seen on LS1 tech where guys smooth the truck intakes themselves and it looks great.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:13 AM

I really was hoping to not be confusing, and I apologize if I wasn't clear. The OP stated that a cam swap is in the plans, and I am under the impression that all 4.8/5.3 engines have vvt.

I would absolutely keep it. Hell, I would add it if it didn't.

Run an electric water pump and you don't have to worry about the vvt timing cover working with your front accessory drive.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:34 AM

The aggressive vvt cam from comp cams is a beast of a cam, with an advertised operating range of 2000-7100rpms.

Dur. advertised (I/E): 275/289
Dur. @ .050" (I/E): 222/236
LSA: 114
Lift w/1.7 (I/E): .566/.573
Just for fun...
Lift with slp 1.85 rockers (I/E): .611/.629

Throw 20 degrees of cam phasing on top of that and you have yourself a performer. I'm sure the Texas speed and mast vvt cams are comparable (probably better, even), but you get the point.

With comp cams ramp rates, I bet the 1.85 rockers would be a destroyer of valve springs, and .629" of exhaust valve lift probably introduces the valve to the piston, in the worst kind of way. So be careful to check for ptv clearance, and get damn good springs if you want to run 1.8 rockers.

With stock 1.7 ratio rockers, you shouldn't have any ptv clearance issues (but always check). And 1.7 rockers will play nicer with valve springs.

This is obviously the upper end of what is available for the vvt cam in the aftermarket. You can find more civilized vvt cams. Mast or Texas speed may even offer more aggressive vvt cams.

The comp cams information was readily available, and I wanted to show you what's out there.

Some custom fly cut pistons, that aggressive vvt cam, the slp 1.85 rockers, and some Pac gold valve springs would make for one angry little 327...

Last edited by DavidBoren; 07-08-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I really was hoping to not be confusing, and I apologize if I wasn't clear. The OP stated that a cam swap is in the plans, and I am under the impression that all 4.8/5.3 engines have vvt.

I would absolutely keep it. Hell, I would add it if it didn't.

Run an electric water pump and you don't have to worry about the vvt timing cover working with your front accessory drive.
Most 4.8 and 5.3 engines did not have VVT. That wasn't introduced until later in the Gen IV production run (2007ish or so I believe) so he won't have to worry about that if he got a 99-04 engine.

OP what year engine did you get?
Old 07-29-2015, 06:58 PM

Its an 02 out of a Tahoe . I picked up some 243 heads with the trunnion upgrade and springs that are good to .660 lift (I believe they are Texas Speed) .
Old 07-30-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraman1 View Post
Its an 02 out of a Tahoe . I picked up some 243 heads with the trunnion upgrade and springs that are good to .660 lift (I believe they are Texas Speed) .
Then you are good, that engine doesn't have VVT or AFM. Like others have said I would get those 243 heads decked and then make sure whatever cam you go with will not cause any piston to valve clearance issues (which you shouldn't because of the slightly dished pistons).