Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 02-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Default Easy hp upgrades for stock LS1?

Looking for some input. I'm in the middle of an LS swap. Donor car is an '02 SS Z28 LS1 6 speed. I'm using everything from the Camaro, harness, column, and so on. I'm wondering if I should do some minimal HP upgrades before I do the final install.

Here's where I'm at. I don't want to dump much money into the upgrades, I've already spent a bunch on suspension, donor and everything else. I also don't want to sacrifice MPG as this will be a daily driver. I am fairly capable as I've rebuilt a few motors in my day but I don't want to get into a time consuming tear down. I am not computer savy and there's not many shops around here that will work on customs. I do not have the means or knowledge of programing the LS computer myself.

If I change to long tube headers and delete the cats, will that require a reprogram of the computer? I know cold air flow is important. Is there a cam package that would increase hp without sacrificing anything else?

Thanks guys, this is a great forum.

Gene
Old 02-06-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64skylarkls1 View Post
Looking for some input. I'm in the middle of an LS swap. Donor car is an '02 SS Z28 LS1 6 speed. I'm using everything from the Camaro, harness, column, and so on. I'm wondering if I should do some minimal HP upgrades before I do the final install.

Here's where I'm at. I don't want to dump much money into the upgrades, I've already spent a bunch on suspension, donor and everything else. I also don't want to sacrifice MPG as this will be a daily driver. I am fairly capable as I've rebuilt a few motors in my day but I don't want to get into a time consuming tear down. I am not computer savy and there's not many shops around here that will work on customs. I do not have the means or knowledge of programing the LS computer myself.

If I change to long tube headers and delete the cats, will that require a reprogram of the computer? I know cold air flow is important. Is there a cam package that would increase hp without sacrificing anything else?

Thanks guys, this is a great forum.

Gene
You will need the computer looked at no matter what (to delete vats, second O2 sensors etc). I would suggest in your case a mail order tune and a 224 type cam, which is extremely common. Headers etc all add more but know what you will have before getting a tune.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcoray View Post
You will need the computer looked at no matter what (to delete vats, second O2 sensors etc). I would suggest in your case a mail order tune and a 224 type cam, which is extremely common. Headers etc all add more but know what you will have before getting a tune.
I guess that all depends too. This may sound crazy but I am using EVERYTHING from the Camaro. I'll have working ABS, cruise, air, traction control and so on, therefore I had not planned on deleting much except the airbags.

A mail order tune? Can you explain? How much can one expect to gain from a cam package, long tube headers.... I would like to get to about 400 hp.
Thanks.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I guess that all depends too. This may sound crazy but I am using EVERYTHING from the Camaro. I'll have working ABS, cruise, air, traction control and so on, therefore I had not planned on deleting much except the airbags.

A mail order tune? Can you explain? How much can one expect to gain from a cam package, long tube headers.... I would like to get to about 400 hp.
Thanks.
You send your computer to someone and detail the modifications and they load a tune for that setup and send it back. A cam + headers would probably be 450+ hp at the crank.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:32 PM

cam and headers easy 400 hp. i would sugest you calling Thunder racing or texas speed. when you buy a custom cam from them they can also tune your computer for the cam you purchased and necessary needs that you want done to it. be advise that swapping cam is not cheap, your going to need alot of things. give them a call its free.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcoray View Post
You send your computer to someone and detail the modifications and they load a tune for that setup and send it back. A cam + headers would probably be 450+ hp at the crank.
Really?! A tune, cam and headers would increase the hp over 100?! Again this will be my daily driver so I would not want a radical cam and don't want to give up fuel mileage, but if that much can be gained then I would do it for sure. Total out of pocket roughly $500 for the upgrade? I will also be running 3.73 rear gears which should help as well.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Gene, I plan to do something similar to my LS2. Longtubes, cam, tuning, so I've been trying to read up on all the advice. I think 100hp is a lot to hope for without going into the heads? but easily attainable if you do go into the heads and then cam it to match. The secret to either plan is that tune. A good tuner can make the difference as much as any add on part. Sending off your ECU to a reputable tuner should be a definate part of your plan.

Jeff-
Old 02-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Default Calling JayR

we did a LS2 swap in his 64 Buiweck and he laid down 400hp at the rear wheels at only 5K RPM's!! - still had break in oil in it- with only a cam and computer tune-

http://chrisholstromconcepts.com/
Old 02-07-2011, 05:47 PM

Great info guys. I'm not looking to come up with a magic number of hp no matter what it takes to get there, just the opposite. I only want what I can get with the least amount of investment.

Like many here, I know just enough to be dangerous if you know what I mean! I've read enough to know that the capablity of these motors is incredible. I just want whatever hp gains I can get EASILY and I DON"T want to sacrifice efficiency.

That being said, I will not get into heads and would like to keep the cost of the mods around $500. Sounds like a proper tune is a no brainer, I'll plan on it. Beyond that is where this forum will make the difference. A cam package can be done for about 200? Long tube headers around $250-$300? Is a fabricated forced air system from the cowl or grill worth the effort?

Anyone ever use long tube late model F-body headers on an A body like mine?

Thanks again,

Gene
Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Great info guys. I'm not looking to come up with a magic number of hp no matter what it takes to get there, just the opposite. I only want what I can get with the least amount of investment.

Like many here, I know just enough to be dangerous if you know what I mean! I've read enough to know that the capablity of these motors is incredible. I just want whatever hp gains I can get EASILY and I DON"T want to sacrifice efficiency.

That being said, I will not get into heads and would like to keep the cost of the mods around $500. Sounds like a proper tune is a no brainer, I'll plan on it. Beyond that is where this forum will make the difference. A cam package can be done for about 200? Long tube headers around $250-$300? Is a fabricated forced air system from the cowl or grill worth the effort?

Anyone ever use long tube late model F-body headers on an A body like mine?

Thanks again,

Gene
As noted, saying a cam swap implies more with a LS1 than it does with older engines. A cam package is a cam + springs & pushrods and it's about 600$. You'd probably also be in the area where you'd want to consider rod bolt swap which is 200$ (if you buy katech, ARP are cheaper but there is some debate if you need to resize the rods or not).

Long tube headers that fit your car are probably more like 500$, attempting to use anything for another car will almost certainly be a cut and rework situation.

You will see some benefit from simply having a less restrictive intake path, but I wouldn't devote dozens of hours on building something unless you care about the appearance.