Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 10-31-2014, 11:38 PM

Default Marine sbc efi intake?

So I've been scouring the interweb for quite a while for a dual plane MPFI intake for a gen 1 small block chevy (seems like they don't exist for some reason) I plan on converting my carbed 355 in the Nova to a port fuel injection setup using microsquirt to run it. The car s primarily street driven and occasionally autocrossed so I would like to maintain good idle and plenty of low end torque the dual plane intakes provide. I finally came across the intakes made by Mercury Marine called the Mercruiser quicksilver Part #: 8M0061387 (see link below) I'm interested to see if anyone has used these in auto applications and where I may be able to find a used one. I know I can get a new one for about $400 but I prefer to buy used. Any info is greatly appreciated

https://www.perfprotech.com/mercruis.../120?model=947

http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewto...ghlight=marine
-1967 C-10 step side 4x4
-2000 Dodge Dakota

it'll buff out........
Old 11-03-2014, 08:54 PM

That is pretty sweet...would be perfect for my truck too. I converted my 94 TBI to Vortecs with a carb intake and adapter, but would love to go port. The TBI kinda sucks in the winter.

If you hit a good stash of these let me know! haha
Old 11-03-2014, 08:59 PM

I sure will. I searched far and wide for a nice dual plane port fuel injection intake for a SBC. I can't for the life of me understand why the big manufacturers like edelbrock and Holley don't make one. I will be scouring the boat junk yards for these soon
-1967 C-10 step side 4x4
-2000 Dodge Dakota

it'll buff out........
Old 11-04-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70TWO NOVA View Post
I can't for the life of me understand why the big manufacturers like edelbrock and Holley don't make one.
Because a single plane is easier to machine and configure for bungs, all the runners are the same height.
Bottom line, if a dual plane is the best choice for any given application with a carb then it's the same for EFI.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeefi View Post
Because a single plane is easier to machine and configure for bungs, all the runners are the same height.
Bottom line, if a dual plane is the best choice for any given application with a carb then it's the same for EFI.

Hope this helps.
I understand that it may be slightly more difficult to machine injector bungs into a dual plane manifold, but its definitley not too hard for the big companies like Edelbrock, Holley, FAST etc to do. I mean we are talking about companies that have loads of technology, resources, equipment and money. They already make parts that are far more difficult to produce than a little cast aluminum MPFI dual plane manifold. I know the market for a manifold like this is out there. I have seen it time and time again on forums. Just doesnt make sense why this niche hasnt been filled yet
-1967 C-10 step side 4x4
-2000 Dodge Dakota

it'll buff out........
Old 11-04-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70TWO NOVA View Post
I mean we are talking about companies that have loads of technology, resources, equipment and money. Just doesnt make sense why this niche hasnt been filled yet
It's all about what they think they can sell and how many.
I personally heard the president of Professional Products say that if he had to do it all over again, he'd make everyone of his intakes with drillable bungs. They are currently the only ones that do ready to use EFI dual planes for some makes of engines. Seems they had a bit more foresight than the big guys did.

By the way, I have an Edelbrock RPM dual plane on my EFI'd 350 Olds. I had a single plane on it at first. But since the changeover it's night and day in throttle response and overall running quality.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeefi View Post
I have an Edelbrock RPM dual plane on my EFI'd 350 Olds. I had a single plane on it at first. But since the changeover it's night and day in throttle response and overall running quality.
That is good to know. Im really trying to maintain low end torque and drivability by going dual plane with my EFI swap. Either way I will make it happen with the help of the big manufactureres or not.
-1967 C-10 step side 4x4
-2000 Dodge Dakota

it'll buff out........