Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 08-04-2014, 12:26 AM

Default No exterior rear view mirrors?

Seems like quite a few of the more "top end" cars don't use exterior rear view mirrors on the doors.... Makes a much cleaner, sleek look...

For you guys not using mirrors..... Any real practical issues with the car on the street?...weird driving the car and not having them? Ever had a close call with not having that view while driving on the street? Regret not having them?

More of a "cool for a show car..... But stupid on a real street car"...

Obviously it's illegal to not have them on a street car but I doubt the police would make any issue unless you are acting like a douche...but once the paint is on, it's much harder to add later..
Old 08-04-2014, 09:00 AM

After building mine, I learned to appreciate all the functions of a car. I shaved the wipers and wished I had never done it. Things like a center console and mirrors are just as important if it's not a show queen. With that being said, the aftermarket junk mirrors I had on mine were nearly worthless. I would go with a 2nd gen mirror. I know you are building a cuda so I have no idea what would look right.

Long story short, I'll take function over form in a car that's driven.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:41 AM

The more I drive these cars the more I want function. They need to perform driveability wise as good as they look.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 AM

Painted sport mirrors on a cuda look great.

I have a few customer cars that don't run mirrors and if your not a swivel head it can be troublesome. Backing into a car show spot without them sucks bad .

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 08-04-2014, 10:18 AM

yeah, those are my thoughts too.....it looks bad ass without the mirrors, but I have a feeling I will regret not having them later. I haven't had mirrors on the car since I blew it apart, so I'm used to the sleek, clean look and it looks great that way....

I bought some ebay 2nd gen mirrors and they were just a tad too big....they just didn't look quite right. The contour on the base was going to take quite a bit of tweaking to get the fit and angle just right too.....The stock Cuda mirrors are a pretty close shape to the 2nd gen, just a tad smaller but not much

I looked at quite few aftermarket ones and none of them really appealed to me that much....Ideally I was looking for some brushed billet ones since that's a big part of the theme of the car...but couldn't find any that didn't have a chevy bowtie etc on them

Right now I have the stock Cuda mirrors mocked up.... I moved them forward on the door about 7 inches...the stock location is surprisingly far back on the door.. for stock spot the front edge of the base is 17 inches back from the fender/door gap
Old 08-04-2014, 02:56 PM

Heck, I hate that the mirrors on a lot of these cars are so small! I know it doesn't look cool, but a little bigger mirror or a magnifying mirror would be even better IMHO. I'm talking about a street driven car of course.

I might be biased as I just backed into a trash can (very slowly) the other day. I'm going to install a backup camera and a passenger mirror when I get the chance and the money. I'm used to truck mirrors where I can see pretty much everything.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread
Old 08-04-2014, 08:16 PM

My shaved wipers almost blew my sale. He was concerned about getting it licensed as they required State inspections. If you are like me, everything gets sold and that's a real consideration.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:00 PM

Didn't think about resale issues....

I actually modified and installed one of the convex interior rear view mirrors used in the race cars etc... Modified the stock base and neck and made a new mount that allows me to push the mirror up pretty high and still have a great view out the back.... Works great and I can see out the back glass and the rear quarter windows on the mirror ...... The image is alittle different than a flat mirror by the view angle is huge.... Not enough to replace having side mirrors but now can see the entire back seat... So I can scream at the kids more effectively
Old 10-30-2014, 04:08 PM

i just wish i could find a power mirror that looks like the stock 64-67 a body mirror.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:20 AM

Default Shaved

Mine were shaved for SEMA... HATED driving the car without them!

70-73 2nd-gens have HUGE blind spots to the point it's dangerous without side mirrors...
too many close calls to count even AFTER looking over my shoulder before changing lanes.

Mirrors are going back on the car now... body color 2nd-gens.
Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST