View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

just a fyi, the '01 Z06 LS6 had a smaller cam than '02-'04 LS6. it was only .525 lift while '02-'04 was .550 lift. that cam in your car with a good tune will get you close to 400 rear wheel hp. when i say a good tune that means on a local dyno with a tuner. i've seen mail order tunes range from 20-43 hp lower than a local tune on a dyno.

you should replace the push rods no matter what cam you have, stock LS1 push rods flex a lot and can even brake at high RPM.

LS1 blocks are different than LS6 blocks. only about 15% of '01 and 28% '02 camaros got a LS6 block. you can tell by the part number on the back.

1. the LS6 block has vents at the bottom of the cylinders to allow for better back pressure dissipation... the LS1 block did not have this.

2. the LS6 blocks that wound up in the f-bodies were made from the denser casting, and therefore were more prone to tolerate nitrous... the LS1 blocks were almost equally tolerant of nitrous, but were made from a less dense product run.

3. the way to tell if your block is an LS6 block is to look at the casting number at the top, back of the block and on the driver's side... the LS6 casting number is 12561168... anything else is the LS1 casting number.

good reading about the LSx engines.
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...0of%20power%22

if your running everything like i am and like we have already talked about then no you do not need to delete VATS in the PCM. i am not deleting it out of mine because i like the fact that i have anti-theft in my 1969 camaro and its that much harder to steal.

read up on LS1Tech.com, there is a cam only section and people put the cam they have and the power they made. a lot of good info there. if you want to keep stock valve springs you need to stay under .570 lift IIRC.