View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 07:29 PM

One option that was discussed with Art Morrison early on, was to replace the stock frame rails with first gen Camaro frame rails. I opted to retain the stock rails thinking it would be less work and less cutting of the car. Since it was a nicely finished car, I didn't want to do any more cutting than necessary.

Looking back on it, I would have come out with a better finished car if I had replaced the frame rails. The car would have been stronger and it took a lot of time to make up the plates and weld them in. One area that is tough to work on is where the stock frame rails turn upwards just ahead of the rear axle. There are factory overlapping flat plates welded to the floor there and they are sealed with a tar. Cutting or welding there is going to be tough because it will melt the tar and it'll burn. The frame rails would have to stick up into the car almost completely in that area. The area just ahead of what is marked "trunk profile" would need a little filler plating to support the trunk floor.
David

First gen frame rails in a second gen Camaro.
Attached Images

Last edited by David Pozzi; 10-31-2014 at 05:08 PM.