View Single Post
Old 11-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,582 Times in 858 Posts

Trey nice work on the headers and the exhaust the ground clearance is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Here are the headers all freshly welded up. I gave up on trying to mig the tubes and just took them to Scotty Seals at Pro Chassis over in Hiram, GA. He routinely builds custom headers for blown mustangs so he knows what he's doing. He tigged them up for me and put the bullets on the ends of the pipes. I've installed them as you see them so I could make sure they do fit without hitting anything. I did end up having to take off the lower control arm brace on the driver's side. I'll come up with some other means to triangulate that piece probably when I pull the motor in the future.

I'm very happy with how they fit. Only 3 or 4 plugs are a pain to get to but I bought a shorty spark plug socket since I couldn't make my own that really helps make life easier. If you can find a spark plug socket that has the hex cut to the bottom of the socket, you can simply cut it down and drill out the center section to make shorty socket. The ceramic of the plug will stick through the socket after you drill it out.

All in all, these headers are easier to install than the headers I put on this engine when it was still in my 4th gen. Plug changes are easier too even with the hard ones. I can't get a decent picture of the passenger side since it's so tight in that area. Something I was able to pull off is the headers are mirror images of each other coming out of the cylinder heads. They obviously change drastically after that but from the top they look the same.

Ground clearance is great! I promise, the system is fully installed in this picture

See? There are the mufflers. I painted everything black to hide it all away.

Here's the collectors sitting up front and a view from the front. They are just under 4 inches off the ground, no lower than the oil pan, and above the front cross member still.

The mufflers are 5 inches off the ground now. I plan to lower the car in the rear some more. I should have the mufflers between 3.5 and 4 inches off the ground when done. I really hope that's plenty of clearance for me to get in and out of the driveway easily. Right now, it's a breeze getting in and out. I wish I had taken measurements before I cut the old system out, but I missed the reminder I had left myself. Oh well, I know it's more clearance. I just don't know how much.

I didn't get a good picture of it but I put v-band clamps in the system just after they turn up from the mufflers. I can easily drop the system off of the car in a few minutes. The exhaust is a slip fit with a band clamp at the collector. Best design I have ever used. I have no idea why companies still use flanges any more. I won't if I can ever help it.

Next is pulling the headers right back off to have them sand blasted and ceramic coated. I'll be going black to hide any fabrication marks. I'll also be getting the new rear in and getting the rear springs dearched. I really hope that doesn't take long. After that, who knows. I really need to get better seats and seat belts.

Thanks

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale