View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Good response Tobin -- Thanks for jumping in there and adding your masterful thoughts!

I'm not "technical" enough and didn't want to get into the whole "volume" discussion... figured he'd get that info if he starts researching... I wanted to toss in "food to think about"... and you've done a great job (as usual) in discussing the various systems.

Funny -- Back in high school - everybody wanted to run a 750 Holley on their 283's - cause that's what all the big boys were running.... But when you're in high school you're too lame to really LEARN and RESEARCH what carb you SHOULD have had.... and WE (including myself here) NEVER checked our brakes... it was only a "hurst shifter" and big carb story. NOW, of course, we should be a bit better at these things.... yet the most misunderstood parts of the "hobby" that I encounter almost daily -- BRAKES... and the same guys are making the same mistakes... and there's really quite a bit to learn about this subject. Yet - the "basics" are just that... pretty basic. What I see the most - is the "lipstick on a pig" cover ups... i.e., "My brakes suck" -- so I'll put on a double whammy big doowhop chrome booster... and when that fails... they learn to live with it.

Can't tell you how many "conversions" I've seen where the master cylinder is hooked up backwards... because NOT ALL MC's go front reservoir to front brakes... Or that they're using 1 1/18" MC on all disc system and still have 4:1 pedal ratio... and so on blah blah blah. I do more HOT RODDING than PT shows etc -- and it's really really rampant in the HR scene.... PT folks seem to be a lot more interested in "the facts". Thanks for being here and helping us all!