View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64skylarkls1 View Post
Great info guys. I'm not looking to come up with a magic number of hp no matter what it takes to get there, just the opposite. I only want what I can get with the least amount of investment.

Like many here, I know just enough to be dangerous if you know what I mean! I've read enough to know that the capablity of these motors is incredible. I just want whatever hp gains I can get EASILY and I DON"T want to sacrifice efficiency.

That being said, I will not get into heads and would like to keep the cost of the mods around $500. Sounds like a proper tune is a no brainer, I'll plan on it. Beyond that is where this forum will make the difference. A cam package can be done for about 200? Long tube headers around $250-$300? Is a fabricated forced air system from the cowl or grill worth the effort?

Anyone ever use long tube late model F-body headers on an A body like mine?

Thanks again,

Gene
As noted, saying a cam swap implies more with a LS1 than it does with older engines. A cam package is a cam + springs & pushrods and it's about 600$. You'd probably also be in the area where you'd want to consider rod bolt swap which is 200$ (if you buy katech, ARP are cheaper but there is some debate if you need to resize the rods or not).

Long tube headers that fit your car are probably more like 500$, attempting to use anything for another car will almost certainly be a cut and rework situation.

You will see some benefit from simply having a less restrictive intake path, but I wouldn't devote dozens of hours on building something unless you care about the appearance.