Thread: 04/05 Gto Irs
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz View Post
I really appreciate the info ! I've seen whole units for $250-$400. My 67' will probably weigh somewhere around 3400-3600 or so and it won't be driven much. It will be more like a weekend fun to drive, occasional track day/drag car. I'll be stuffing a LQ9 w/ LS2 rods, Victor Jr Mani, 750 Holley, .600+ Cam, L92's and a t56 in it. So I'm looking at around 450-475 to the wheel and I heard those rear ends can handle up to 500whp. I just need to find someone to fab it in and then I'll be set.

I found a guy that can make a S/C T-Bird rearend/IRS fit in it but I'd like to stay with the GM as much as possible but if it come to it I'll thow a 8.8 on it !

Any info I get is deeply appreciated so you guys keep it coming, Thanks !
The rear will handle that power easily with a few mods, there are tons of GTO's running around with 450-475 to the wheels. The nice thing about the IRS from a fabricators point of view is that it only has 3 mounts, two front bushings and one on the diff cover, so physically mounting it is a breeze. What I am unsure of is just how much floorpan surgery will be required and if it will physically fit between the frame rails. If it fits within the frame rails and doesn't require frame rail modifications you could simply relieve the floorpan where it was necessary, fabricate cradle mounts off your existing frame rails, make upper shock and spring mounts (or even better, coil-overs), and have an IRS in your car!

The other good thing about these IRS rears is that they work. They really weight transfer well. We have seen 60 ft. times down in the 1.40's with just our polyurethane cradle mounting bushings and Drag Bags. If you want to see real world usage, check out our Project GTO. Some of the stuff is outdated now (this was back in 2005) but a lot of what we learned about the rear could be helpful in making your decision to go for it or pass. I have wanted to do this conversion for a while now, would love to see somebody actually do it!