View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 08:15 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,567 Times in 852 Posts

One thing that has always bothered me with old cars is how close the seats are to the dash. I remember as a kid my buddy's father built a set of set back plates so he could fit behind the wheel. He also built another set to lift the seat up an 1.5" higher for his daughter. All I need to feel comfortable is to slide the seat all the way back and a different dish on the steering wheel. However, if someone other then me were to drive the car and they happens to be taller then me they are going to want slide the seat back much further.

I was about to make a set when I noticed that Ricks Camaro stocks such and item. So I figure I might as well order them to see if I would like them. I did the passenger side first since the car was backed in on my lift and of course they made a big difference.

Quick test fitting and I determined I would need longer hardware. I just hate it when I come up short by a 1/4 of an inch. It's a good thing the local Sears is only one mile away. For now I picked four 1.5'' x 5/16 Grade 8 bolts so I could finish the project today.

From this pictures you can see just how much further back the seat is and when you sit in the passenger seat you no longer feel like your right on top of the dash. It's amazing the difference few inches will make.

Next up is to order all of the correct ARP hardware from the guys at Totally Stainless and of course have Mr Trim make me a set of trim pieces to cover up the set back plates. Hopefully something simple or maybe I will make a fiberglass piece and spray it with some wrinkle paint to make it look factory.

This pictures lets you see just how much of a difference these plates have made.

That's all for now folks.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale

Last edited by syborg tt; 06-22-2017 at 08:57 PM.