View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 09:12 PM

Default great questions

ahh yes the timing cover is chrome,
I had a 2 piece on their originally and it leaked like a sive so i trashed it and replaced it with a single piece steel unit, and i replaced the seal in case i ripped it putting in the harmonic balancer. The harmonic balancer does have a sleave on it because it was so worn. i wonder if that is not allowing a good seal.
I have baffles on the pcv and breather,
The crank was totally reground and polished,
I am running about 60 psi for oil pressure, and that is with a mechanical line gauge not electric. The Block is a 70-74 vintage 4 bolt main.
The thing is, i am pushing oil out of the harmonic balancer seal, not the lower oil seal to the front lip of the pan, that usually leaks if you dont put a dab of permatex in the corners. you know what i mean. it is pushing out of the seal around the dampener...
I get no burning oil so i am not leakng past the rings into the chamber, and the motor doesnt run that hot, 200 to 220 with a stock 2 core steel radiator. so it doesn't seam like i am getting hot gases pushed back into any other area's. It just doesn't seam like rings are leaking by, although i cannot toss out that suggestion it is surely possible. I am about to yank the motor out and tear it down, replace the rings, the harmonic balancer with a new fluid dampner, and new seals and gaskets everywhere. doesnt sound fun...but i am running out of idea's

Last edited by Gmac454; 04-06-2005 at 09:14 PM.