PDA

View Full Version : Cam sensor bbc

surreyboy
01-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Trying to get the big stuff 3 to work with the 572 but with coil packs and dis, i need a cam sync signal and was wondering if anyone makes a drop in oil pump drive/cam sensor that goes in place of the distributor> i cant seem to find such a thing.does it exist?

deuce_454
01-23-2007, 05:30 PM
i bought my distributor stub drive (with cam sync signal) from msd. I ordered it thru kinsler, and it dropped right in (it has a movable collar so it works both for std. and tall deck blocks) www.kinsler.com (248) 362 1145 but im sure yu could find it elsewhere..

surreyboy
01-23-2007, 05:53 PM
thanks alot!

Totsabe
01-24-2007, 12:22 AM
You can always build one. This one was made using a distributor base and a Hall Effect sensor from a 96 sbc crank sensor. It is small compact and very dependable. :)

Efi69Cam
01-24-2007, 08:00 AM
Trying to get the big stuff 3 to work with the 572 but with coil packs and dis, i need a cam sync signal and was wondering if anyone makes a drop in oil pump drive/cam sensor that goes in place of the distributor> i cant seem to find such a thing.does it exist?

If you do some searches on the the MSD trigger you'll see its output is 5v and does not have the same shape as a typical hall effect sensor.
FAST and Accel ECUs can't read the signal, the BS3 might be able to, but I'd ask their tech support.

surreyboy
01-25-2007, 03:08 AM
ahhh , ive officially called it quits on figuring out the bs3, having almost zero experience with these types of engine management and my short temper =:willy:

deuce_454
01-25-2007, 10:37 AM
well that should be somthing you can configure in the ECU.. it is in the electromotive tec 3 for the sync signal atleast, thehere should be some form of checkoff box where you choose either magnetic or hall type sensor. and fi not... then you need a different trigger wheel and sensor, requireing almost 8 minutes of hard labour to replace..

but if all your efforts fails... call kinsler! they have great tech support, and will help you even if it isnt any thing you've bought thru them..

Ricochet
01-25-2007, 12:23 PM

I purchased the same set up as you with the BS3 & coilpacks. I was going to go with a MSD #8514 set up & according to John Meany - it would not work with my set up. He gave me a part # for a factory GM Cam Sync drop in that plugs into his system. I have the part # at home - if you need it I can get it to you. It was like $180.00. Maybe your system is different? Double check with John?

Brent

Efi69Cam
01-25-2007, 01:27 PM
I purchased the same set up as you with the BS3 & coilpacks. I was going to go with a MSD #8514 set up & according to John Meany - it would not work with my set up. He gave me a part # for a factory GM Cam Sync drop in that plugs into his system. I have the part # at home - if you need it I can get it to you. It was like $180.00. Maybe your system is different? Double check with John?

Brent

I'd like to know the part# of this please.

Ricochet
01-25-2007, 07:32 PM
I'd like to know the part# of this please.

The part # is 01104068. List price on it is about $370.00 at the dealer, but I was able to get for about $200.00. Fortunately my brother works at Chevrolet, so I was able to get his price on it.

Brent

surreyboy
01-25-2007, 08:03 PM
what engine size is the unit for?

Ricochet
01-26-2007, 09:24 AM
what engine size is the unit for?

It is from late 80's - early 90's big block from what I remember. I forget exactly what John told me it was off of. But I know the part # is correct. I would call him to verify your application. It just occured to me that your motor is a tall deck, best of my knowledge this would not work for your application.

69 L88 Camaro
01-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Don't quit on the EFI. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. If you end up with the cam sensor Ricochet described you can cut the short deck collar off on a lathe and make a slide type for the tall deck, which is a good idea anyway. I'm sure this is not the first time Big has ran with a application such as yours.

Ricochet
01-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Don't quit on the EFI. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. If you end up with the cam sensor Ricochet described you can cut the short deck collar off on a lathe and make a slide type for the tall deck, which is a good idea anyway. I'm sure this is not the first time Big has ran with a application such as yours.

I agree, don't quit on the EFI. The part I recommended will not work out of the box with a tall deck. 69 L88 has a good idea to make it work. There are other people out there running tall decks with EFI & COP systems such as the Year One Nova, so we know it can be done. Maybe the Accel DFI is compatible with the MSD 8514 unit.:question:
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0505phr_1967_chevrolet_nova_ii/

I'm sure this could be answered easily by calling Big Stuff. It's not like this is something that has never been done, it's just figuring out how to get there. I know...Easier said then done.. Just don't give up. Remember, if it was easy everybody would do it. Much like yourself, I'm not real saavy with the managements systems out there - just get hooked up with the right people who are. Your efforts will be rewarded.

surreyboy
01-26-2007, 08:02 PM
thanks for the encouragement, the frustrating part is the total lack of tech info in the big stuff literature, i was reading into the xfi fast system and they are very clear on alot of aspects that big stuff glosses over.Im not going carbed but just not sure if i should stick to the bg3 or go to the fast system.

69 L88 Camaro
01-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Do you already own the BS3? Might want to check the website Yellow Bullet. Some of the guys there run aftermarket EFI. Might get some answers to your questions there. I've used a belt drive for the cam and a pickup on that or used the distributor trigger with only one peg on the reluctor and a crank trigger. No DIS experience.

Efi69Cam
01-28-2007, 11:06 AM
http://198.208.187.182/internet/ViewPartImage.jsp?acdelcoPartNumber=213-350

This is the cam sensor oil pump drive.
According to the AC Delco catalog, this part is for 1998-2000 7.4 gas heavy duty trucks, like Kodiacs.

It looks like a vortec dist without the cap and rotor. I had a suspision that something this existed. I saw a 7.4 vortec being torn down at a shop that had coil mounts on the valve covers.

Now the question is if GM made an electronic distributor. All the 7.4s I've seen used the vortec computer that does not have coil drivers.

surreyboy
01-28-2007, 11:26 PM
thanks for the help guys, due to time constraint were going to go with a distributor at this time, figured out how to wire up the crank trigger.2 questions, will the msd dist with cam sync out work for the cam sensor? and is there a need to use a msd 7al with the bg3? if so how does it get wired in?

Ricochet
01-30-2007, 12:38 PM

According to the AC Delco catalog, this part is for 1998-2000 7.4 gas heavy duty trucks, like Kodiacs.

It looks like a vortec dist without the cap and rotor. I had a suspision that something this existed. I saw a 7.4 vortec being torn down at a shop that had coil mounts on the valve covers.

Now the question is if GM made an electronic distributor. All the 7.4s I've seen used the vortec computer that does not have coil drivers.

This is the same unit I have - the box also has a AC Delco # on it as well as GM # I posted earlier.

Brent

Ricochet
01-30-2007, 12:40 PM
thanks for the help guys, due to time constraint were going to go with a distributor at this time, figured out how to wire up the crank trigger.2 questions, will the msd dist with cam sync out work for the cam sensor? and is there a need to use a msd 7al with the bg3? if so how does it get wired in?

Not sure if you already have a dist or not, but I have the one that came with my crate motor from Shaver. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MSD%2D2345&N=700+115&autoview=sku

If you need one & this one will work I'll give you a smoking deal on it. If not needed - good luck, keep us posted.

Brent

Efi69Cam
01-31-2007, 07:28 PM

Apparently the engines that used this cam sensor oil drive were controlled by the same computer that 98 LS1 Camaros and Corvettes used. They have coil per plug ignition and throttle by wire. They also used a 24x crank reluctor wheel. The combination of these cam and crank sensors would allow any gen-6 BBC to be controlled with an LS1 PCM, and have COP ignition. This might be a budget alternative for some folks.

Ricochet
01-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Apparently the engines that used this cam sensor oil drive were controlled by the same computer that 98 LS1 Camaros and Corvettes used. They have coil per plug ignition and throttle by wire. They also used a 24x crank reluctor wheel. The combination of these cam and crank sensors would allow any gen-6 BBC to be controlled with an LS1 PCM, and have COP ignition. This might be a budget alternative for some folks.

Good to know. Thanks for info!!

Brent