PDA

View Full Version : FAST vs BIG STUFF 3 or......

projects
12-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Could anybody give me a comparison between these 2 on the pros and cons?
To be used on a lsx build.

01-01-2007, 04:25 PM
On a stock engine you might want to check out FAST stock ecu/wiring harness kit. If you want full control for a medium power deal they both will work. If you have a boosted high HP build I would use the BS3 for the cop engine.
The BS3 will be cheaper for a LS engine also.

KurtCould anybody give me a comparison between these 2 on the pros and cons?
To be used on a lsx build.

ProdigyCustoms
01-01-2007, 04:42 PM
We used a FAST XFI on Parson's II Much Chevy II with a 427 CI, 630HP LS2. Solved all his problems. Have not used Big Stuff, but have not found anything XFI won't do. What it really will boil down to is which system you can find familiar tuners in your area. I think FAST out sells Big Stuff, so there is probably a better chance of finding tuners that know the program. Also, if we supply a FAST, we provide a custom startup program for your engine

TEDDYS CAMARO
01-02-2007, 12:54 PM
I am personally having problems with big stuff 3. My installer is having problems with customer service. We are putting the harness in my camaro ourselves because we want to hide the wiring as much as possible. I don't want to get into details, because I start getting frustrated. Anyway, I am going to make an appointment with Wheel to Wheel. They have done alot of big stuff 3 installs. They are going to get my camaro running, tuned and dyno'ed. I highly recommend them. If you are going to install any kind of custom fuel injection, talk to Kurt at Wheel to Wheel. :dance: This is my first time with custom fuel injection. All I am saying is, make sure you do your homework!

ProdigyCustoms
01-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Exactly what I was talking about Teddy. Have to be sure you have a local expert for whatever product you choose.

nitrorocket
01-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Go stock. Why would you not, you just have to buy software to tune it.

01-05-2007, 11:54 AM
The FAST and BS3 are pretty close on function. Once somebody chooses one they should have no problem learning how to make changes in the tune. If your running under 1000hp stuff the factory stock computer is really good unless you are racing and need faster change abilitys. I have ran the FAST and BS3 in race cars with great results from both, but the BS3 is better on the cop engines. If you are running nitrous on a dist engine I would use the FAST because it can control nitrous dry and is very nice for racing. We sell both brands here and the BS3 outsells the FAST but that is related to the fact that we sell mostly LS engines I'm sure.

Kurt

camcojb
01-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Go stock. Why would you not, you just have to buy software to tune it.
well, although I loved tuning the stock computer with the twin turbo GTO, there is one big advantage the BS3 and FAST has over it; they can both stay closed loop at wot. So you set the a/f you want and the computer can add/subtract to get you there, even under full throttle (although you do have to be within 25% of correct or so with your fuel mapping). The stock computer goes open loop past a certain throttle position/load, so your tune better be right. That, plus they come with a very good wideband to ensure the a/f you're getting at wot is correct.For n/a applications I really like the stock computer and a tuning system like HP Tuners. Even forced it works very well, just doesn't have the extra features of the aftermarket stuff like wot closed loop. nitrous control, etc.Jody

Bowtieracing
01-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Go stock. Why would you not, you just have to buy software to tune it.:thumbsup:

projects
01-05-2007, 10:30 PM
I'm just building a good cruiser stroker 408 aiming for upper 7XX hp with a single t72. Very minimal racing:rolleyes: if there is such a thing.
I think i'll be waiting for the msd bs3 to be released this spring.

01-06-2007, 10:25 PM
The new MSD looks very nice and should be well suited for your car. Good luck!

KurtI'm just building a good cruiser stroker 408 aiming for upper 7XX hp with a single t72. Very minimal racing:rolleyes: if there is such a thing.
I think i'll be waiting for the msd bs3 to be released this spring.

chicane
01-06-2007, 11:06 PM
FAST vs BIG STUFF 3 or...

... or how about just doing it right the first time ??

The UMI Delphi 4B. http://www.umiracing.com/gallery/Images/Catalog.pdf

01-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Feature wise the UMI software coupled with the GM MEFI is a close competitor to the new MSD EFI system, but it lacks many of the high end features of the BS3 or FAST. The MSD system is cheaper(advertised 1200) if you find you can do without the sefi and individual fuel/timing control of the high end units.

Kurt

jeff s
01-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Feature wise the UMI software coupled with the GM MEFI is a close competitor to the new MSD EFI system, but it lacks many of the high end features of the BS3 or FAST. The MSD system is cheaper(advertised 1200) if you find you can do without the sefi and individual fuel/timing control of the high end units.

Kurt

UMI said at SEMA they sold their EFI to MSD.

We've sold a few BS3, no complaints.
On near stock engines I prefer OEM.
I'm using Accel DFI on my TT GTR.

01-07-2007, 06:35 PM
BS3 did the new MSD system that was at SEMA. The UMI software I have seen is to tune the Delphi MEFI4, maybe they are going to market that with MSD.
Hard to beat the stock stuff on low power engines. Accel has been pretty nice except for cost, in the old days when the Meaney brothers started it there was no other choice.

KurtUMI said at SEMA they sold their EFI to MSD.

We've sold a few BS3, no complaints.
On near stock engines I prefer OEM.
I'm using Accel DFI on my TT GTR.

D Rock
01-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know if any of these systems support two throttle bodies?

Thanks

camcojb
01-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know if any of these systems support two throttle bodies?

Thanks

they all will. You just run one throttle position switch and one idle air control off a single throttle body, the other is just synched to the first.

Jody

rwhite692
01-08-2007, 12:56 PM
BS3 did the new MSD system that was at SEMA....

Kurt- I missed the new BSD system @Sema...Do you know how much of the BS3's feature set has made it's way into the new MSD system? Is the MSD's software derivative of/similar to BigComm? -Rob

Blown353
01-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Don't forget to look across the pond guys... there are quite a few other great systems out there that offer more features than the "local" entries. AEM & Autronic make some great stuff at a reasonable price point.

01-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Its not seqential but still has wide band with live correction. I did not look to close yet, but looked like nice entry level tuner deal. It also will run COP so we will probably see it in new engine/ old car swaps. I have not seen the software, but I would guess it will be like BS3 standard system.

KurtKurt- I missed the new BSD system @Sema...Do you know how much of the BS3's feature set has made it's way into the new MSD system? Is the MSD's software derivative of/similar to BigComm? -Rob