PDA

View Full Version : Blowfish in Hot Rod Magazine

XcYZ
12-18-2006, 08:33 AM
If you haven't seen the article on Troy Trepanier's landspeed Cuda in the latest issue of Hot Rod, you need to check it out. It's a great read.

62wagon
12-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Have been waiting with much anticipation an article and some more pics on this car. There is no reason a racecar should ever be this nice. Then to take the car to Bonneville and perform better than anyone there expected is just incredible. The crew at Rad Rides just keeps turning out the gems. :hail: I will be buying the build book mentioned in the article.

Mark

radrambler
12-18-2006, 06:31 PM
scott

yes it is a good article....
SAW IT @ PRI....DAMN THAT IS SOME NICE FAB WORK..... ART!!

RADRAMBLER

Damn True
12-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Poteet is my hero!

That thing is just sick beyond description.

slow4dr
12-19-2006, 12:04 PM
I read it last night. :thumbsup: I have seen the build up pictures before and it is one amazing piece of "working" art now that it is finished. I of course love small displacement motors so it holds a special place in my heart. :D

I have a hard time believing the claim of making 1000HP on 20 psi. Unless it's running methanol & 12.0:1 compression. :lol:

nitrorocket
12-19-2006, 12:31 PM
I read it last night. :thumbsup: I have seen the build up pictures before and it is one amazing piece of "working" art now that it is finished. I of course love small displacement motors so it holds a special place in my heart. :D

I have a hard time believing the claim of making 1000HP on 20 psi. Unless it's running methanol & 12.0:1 compression. :lol:

Why could'nt it make 1000 hp? What is in it for a motor?? :yes:

slow4dr
12-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Why could'nt it make 1000 hp? What is in it for a motor?? :yes:

175" 4 cylinder

nitrorocket
12-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Are you serious??

XcYZ
12-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Yep, how cool is that. :bow:

http://www.lateral-g.org/events/semashow2005/142.jpg

http://www.lateral-g.org/events/semashow2005/021.jpg

slow4dr
12-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Are you serious??

Absolutely!

nitrorocket
12-19-2006, 12:43 PM
WOW! That is tiny!

I would imagine it has to be about 35 psi of boost and some 116 octane to make that power... What will it make on pumpgas? Did they say?

slow4dr
12-19-2006, 12:45 PM
WOW! That is tiny!

I would imagine it has to be about 35 psi of boost and some 116 octane to make that power... What will it make on pumpgas? Did they say?

:thumbsup: I was thinking the same thing.

I didn't see any pump gas numbers.

NOVA
12-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Poteet is my hero!.

Trepanier is mine!

Ricochet
12-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Trepanier is mine!

I'm right there with you. These guys amaze me. They have went every direction in the industry. From Street Machines to Street Rods, Bonneville Cars to Drag Cars. They even had a Toyota Camry at SEMA that was (as much as I hate to say it..was cool). Now they are going for the Riddler in February. Everything they do - from design to execution - they nail it flawlessly. Not to mention probably some of the coolest group of guys I have had the pleasure talking with a few times.

Brent

dropit69
12-19-2006, 05:22 PM
yeah what a ride i happen to live 2 towns away..was there for the unveiling..i was there a few times when he first started out building them in the side garage..(boumungous and the rambler)came along way..and an awesome guy to talk with..

69 L88 Camaro
12-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Are you serious??

6 per inch on gas blowing your mind?

nitrorocket
12-19-2006, 05:44 PM
No, it is pretty common today with turbo motors. I am mostly amazed to see such a tiny motor in such a big car. I wonder how the boost lag is on that thing!! What does boost come on at? What is redline?

slow4dr
12-19-2006, 05:50 PM
No, it is pretty common today with turbo motors. I am mostly amazed to see such a tiny motor in such a big car. I wonder how the boost lag is on that thing!! What does boost come on at? What is redline?

They were spinning it past 9K. I have seen a few 2JZ's with turbos this large and they don't make 20 psi until 6K+ rpm.

nitrorocket
12-19-2006, 05:52 PM
So anyone who knows... Does the power on this thing come on at 6000 rpm or what??

What does it make on pumpgas?

Where Troy?? :D :D

69 L88 Camaro
12-19-2006, 07:16 PM
I don't think this will ever be run on pump gas.

NOVA
01-05-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm right there with you. These guys amaze me.they nail it flawlessly. Not to mention probably some of the coolest group of guys I have had the pleasure talking with a few times.

Brent

Yes WHEN the lotto comes in my second call is to Rad Rides,a couple yrs. ago I was talking with Dan Holohan,Rads fabricator, cool guys for sure!
I guess J.Zimmerman is back there too, Wonder what happened with Muscle CAr Garage?

californiacuda
01-11-2007, 09:03 AM
On the sick fish, were there any final drag cd #s?

MarkM66
01-12-2007, 09:07 AM
On the sick fish, were there any final drag cd #s?

I don't think they put Sick Fish in a wind tunnel.

Did you mean Blowfish, as in the car being discussed? I'd have to double check, but I think it was low .2X CD

DocDave
01-12-2007, 12:29 PM
I don't think this will ever be run on pump gas.
I agree. It's a Salt Flats race car. It was purpose built; they kept it light weight and everything in it is for a purpose. As nice as the car is, there is very little there that does not need to be. I feel it's one of the baddest cars ever built. Style and Real Race in one, who wooda thunk it! Great job by the guys over at Rad Rides!

G-Body
01-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Awesome car love all of Troy's builds anybody heard of any $figures $ on this car yet in what it cost to build it amazing peice of FAST art work........

californiacuda
01-12-2007, 10:33 PM
I meant blow fish, thanks. Interestingly, weight is not much of an issue in salt flat cars. They are after top speed with miles to build up to it.

With drag racing or other acceleration contests weight is a big factor.

F=M*A or A=f/m.

With high speed Bonneville cars, drag coefficient*frontal area dictate the horsepower required to get to a certain speed. Air friction is the enemy.

I think I saw a picture of the blow fish in a wind tunnel, a lot of aero work has been done. They said they were going to get a cd of .20, which is not possible with a car that has its shape.

Regardless, the car, as well as the others from Rad Rides are truly great.

nitrorocket
01-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Anybody want some close ups, I am parked almost right next to it.:_paranoid

frankenstang
01-13-2007, 12:01 PM
So... you are at the WOW show in Milwaukee? Did you get a chance to see Dale Schwartz? He has the 82 Black Trans Am. Take some pictures of the show and put 'em up! I will be going to the Chicago show in 2 weeks. Unfortunately I didn't get my stuff mailed in time, so I will be car-less. Are you gonna be in Chi-town with the Chevelle? And will Blowfish be there too?

tyoneal
01-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I meant blow fish, thanks. Interestingly, weight is not much of an issue in salt flat cars. They are after top speed with miles to build up to it.

With drag racing or other acceleration contests weight is a big factor.

F=M*A or A=f/m.

With high speed Bonneville cars, drag coefficient*frontal area dictate the horsepower required to get to a certain speed. Air friction is the enemy.

I think I saw a picture of the blow fish in a wind tunnel, a lot of aero work has been done. They said they were going to get a cd of .20, which is not possible with a car that has its shape.

Regardless, the car, as well as the others from Rad Rides are truly great.

You are exactly right about Bonneville. Many of the car will experience wheel spin, when the drag of the car > than the traction of the rear wheels. Knowing this, when we built our car, we boxed the frame rails and filled them with an iron filled two componant epoxy (Used to make metal forming tools in the aerospace industry) Neat stuff, you could mix several hundred pounds at a time. The curing agent was so slow that it literally could take a week to set up, depending on the thickness and ambiant temp.

Anyway, we filled the frame rails up with this stuff and added several hundred pounds to the car, and it was as low in the car as as it could be. It helped the handeling quite a bit. The car, while looking lightweight was really pretty heavy and solid.

Ty

californiacuda
01-13-2007, 07:21 PM
I guess the narrow low friction tires don't have much grab. Did the wheel spin occur at high speed? On regular cars when they get up into a higher gear, the torque drops so low that tire spin isn't possible.

syborg tt
01-15-2007, 04:32 PM
more pics just in case your bored

http://www.sportmachines.com/gallery/69-Baracuda

DocDave
01-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Just saw this car in person at World of Wheels in Milwaukee. Very Cool. The attention to detail for a purpose built car is something you normally don't see.