PDA

View Full Version : Single Turbo question?

Wilkinshc
04-04-2006, 06:19 PM
What are the pros and cons to running a single turbo off one side of exhaust? Is it not possible? I am wondering about running a single turbo off one header because of space available, I want to run 6-8 lbs of boost on a 454 BBC. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Chuck

cutlasskid
04-05-2006, 06:56 PM
i think you would have to run an exhaust crossover other than that you would be ok

Wilkinshc
04-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the reply but I was was wondering if it would work without the crossover pipe. I have very limited space (65 corvette).

camcojb
04-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Although not optimal I saw a 289 make about 600 rwhp with the turbo running off just one side and the other going to a muffler and tailpipe. I didn't think each side of the engine would even have the same a/f, but it worked very well.

Jody

Wilkinshc
04-06-2006, 09:24 AM
camcojb,

Thanks for the info. I am wondering why you think the a/f ratio would be different? Is it because of back pressure on exhaust? Intake would have same boost.

I was wondering if half the exhaust could spin a big enough turbo without alot of turbo lag?

I appreciate help.

Chuck

orange88
04-06-2006, 10:26 AM
why not just do two smaller turbos?

camcojb
04-06-2006, 11:45 AM
camcojb,

Thanks for the info. I am wondering why you think the a/f ratio would be different? Is it because of back pressure on exhaust? Intake would have same boost.

I was wondering if half the exhaust could spin a big enough turbo without alot of turbo lag?

I appreciate help.

Chuck

I would think the exhaust pressure differences would do something to it, but if it does it's minor as he's been running it for quite a while this way.

Jody

Wilkinshc
04-06-2006, 01:40 PM
why not just do two smaller turbos?

Orange88,

If you ever look at the engine bay of a 65 corvette with a big block, you would see why. I know it's possible but would take major changes. I still want to keep the A/C, and need a good size radiator to keep things cool. With one turbo it would make it alot more simple.

Jody,

thanks for the additional info. You have a very nice website, love the camaro project! :hail: :thumbsup:

Chuck

orange88
04-07-2006, 07:11 PM
ive seen some very compact twin turbo setups. i think if you did a log syyle header and mounted them at the back of the motor that might fit.
i wouldent do a turbo off one side it would have tuning problems

hotwheels
04-08-2006, 01:09 AM
Twin's verses a single set up just become a matter of preference and what you are willing to spend on a build.........for the gentlemen's question here, i would highly recommend a single turbo set up with a big block.....I would look at a turbo in the range of 62-1 in a p trim.....I would also recommend having a cross over tube coming from the header that doesn't have the turbo, feeding the turbo along with the main turbo header. This should help ensure equal pressure through out your entire system.........

I love my twin turbo'd car very much and my new engine is almost complete. If i ever do another turbo'd car, i am going to go with a single kit my self. It has been alot of work to maintain and keep both turbo's functioning together (mainly wastegate issue's)......

hotwheels of insanemustangs.com