PDA

View Full Version : HTP Invertig 221

Sieg
02-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Anyone have insight regarding the HTP Invertig 221?

http://www.usaweld.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=70221-12.5

Thanks

coolwelder62
02-17-2012, 07:53 AM
I have bought a few thing's from HTP.But never any welding machine's.I like to buy either Lincoln or Miller.That way if they need service I can take them to the nearest welding supply store for repair.I belive the welder's that HTP sell's are made in Europe,maybe Germany. Ask them about the Warranty their machine's have.GL:thumbsup:

Sieg
02-17-2012, 08:19 AM
They're actually built in Italy. Definitely agree on the convenience of local service.

I've been focused on a Diversion 180 since it's for light hobby work, but there are times I may need to weld 1/4"- 5/16". All said the Dynasty 200 is probably the better move in the long run. Though most my work will be light sheet metal and bracketry. The convenience of portability and 115V would be nice at times.

INTMD8
02-17-2012, 11:42 AM
We've used an Invertig 201 (previous model) for years in our shop and it's always worked flawlessly.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 221.

70 chevelle
02-17-2012, 07:29 PM
I love my 201 . I know your looking for feedback on the new one but I'm sure some happy 201 customers recommendations couldn't hurt. Would not heitate to purchase another welder from them. They are local so I get my consumables from them too.

Sieg
02-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Appreciate the input gentlemen. :thumbsup:

Stopped by the local Air Gas shop and spoke queried a knowledgable counterman. He brought back my earlier choice which was discounted by another shops service tech. The Thermadyne/ThermalArc ArcMaster 185 AC/DC Sitck/TIG unit.
http://www.thermadyne.com/thermalarc/products/detailProduct.html?prodID=10-3073A-2

What really impressed me was they had the Miller and Lincoln options I was considering in stock and his recommendation was one they didn't stock.

I like the longterm versatility of the unit in respect to light guage and 1/4" plus capacity in a small package for my hobby level usage. Price was $2500 with leads/tourch/foot control/regulator.

Pros and cons on the Thermal Arc unit?

Fluid Power
02-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Sieg,

I just wanted to throw it out there that I own an HTP mig welder. I bought it LONG before the internet and didn't know anything about welders and were to buy them etc. FWIW, I love it. It works flawlessly. I have the smallest mig they made at the time (runs on 110v!) BUT it had the same mechanics on the inside as the bigger more expensive models. I used it for panels and brackets, fixing stuff around the shop. It runs sometimes 8 hours a day on a Saturday and then sits in the corner for 3 months, but I have never had an issue.

Having never seen anybody post about HTP, I just had to throw this out there!

Darren

Nine Ball
02-20-2012, 12:59 PM
One of my staff members loves his HTP 201. Article/feedback here:

http://www.planetlsx.com/review/Tool_Time__TIG_Welder_Tech_and_the_HTP_Invertig_20 1/121

Ketzer
02-20-2012, 03:06 PM
I have Millers.
On any brand, be sure you can get local service on the unit and the parts that break are readily available. A buddy of mine has an old BluePoint 110v unit. It is a great little welder but he couldnt get it worked on and couldnt get consumables for it. It broke a small part inside that no one had and it uses specific nozzles that he couldn't get.

Jeff-

itsals1
02-25-2012, 09:25 PM
I had a 110V Lincoln which I had some issues with,went down to the local store thinking, they will have the parts on the shelf:rofl: .I had to wait over a week to get parts. My HTP MIG is awesome no problems. I've ordered wire and had it in 2 days, they claim over night on all parts. My opinion I'd buy HTP before blue or red.

Travis

NovaBlue71
02-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Hi, we have two htp welders at shop and they have been working flawless. The 140 mig and the quickspot II. I have always had great customer service with htp and have called on a saturday before and left message and had a call back from the owner on phone regarding any questions I had and was treated great. I definitely will be talking to them when we get around to buying a new tig welder. :thumbsup: Joe.

Sieg
02-26-2012, 07:54 AM
One of my staff members loves his HTP 201. Article/feedback here:

http://www.planetlsx.com/review/Tool_Time__TIG_Welder_Tech_and_the_HTP_Invertig_20 1/121

Very good article, thanks. :thumbsup:

And thanks to all the other contributors, it really helps the selection process.

GregWeld
02-26-2012, 01:34 PM
I've never heard a single complaint about HTP machines.

But of course... welding is like Golfing - it ain't about the clubs... it's the guy swinging 'em. :unibrow:

Sieg
02-26-2012, 02:54 PM
I've never heard a single complaint about HTP machines.

But of course... welding is like Golfing - it ain't about the clubs... it's the guy swinging 'em. :unibrow:

I got it covered. Shank, snap-hook, worm-burner, pop-up, block, cold-top, skully,wiff, sinker, sandy, Michael Moore, hole-out..............all with the same club.

http://www.desmonorthwest.com/forums/images/smilies/action-smiley-027.gif

GregWeld
02-26-2012, 03:09 PM
I got it covered. Shank, snap-hook, worm-burner, pop-up, block, cold-top, skully,wiff, sinker, sandy, Michael Moore, hole-out..............all with the same club.

http://www.desmonorthwest.com/forums/images/smilies/action-smiley-027.gif

OMG! I almost peed myself laughing so hard... Just great!

Luckily I weld way more than I play golf!

I swing - miss - then move my feet around like it was a practice swing... LOL

partsguy57
05-04-2012, 08:02 PM
I have their mig welder (mig 200) great machine. also I have their plasma cutter, also been a great machine. I also have a Lincoln precision tig 185 which also works quite well. I buy most if not all of my consumables from them and as far as spare parts go very fast shipping. The local welding shops here are a joke, no stock, wait days for parts etc. I prefer to deal with HTP, good knowledge fast shipping, great support on their products.

Sieg
05-26-2012, 12:53 AM
So........I have a landed package price from USAWeld http://www.usaweld.com/default.asp on the HTP MicroCut 600, MIG 200, and Invertig 221 that is very tempting. I've yet to hear any negatives about HTP equipment or WeldUSA's customer service and support..............anyone have more insight?

sniper
06-01-2012, 08:05 PM
I have zero info regarding HTP. But.

From the dates of your posts you don't seem to be in a hurry. Have you ruled out used? I recently purchased a Lincoln precision 275 tig full package with aux panel, bottle, extra cups, lenses and a some filler for 2500.
And there are deals like that, that pop up all the time, if you have the luxury to shop for a good deal. The dynasty models seem to be harder to come by.

Injected65
06-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I bought a plasma cutter from HTP about 12 years ago. I called up about 3 years ago needing some repair parts and they fixed me up with the parts just like I had bought it earlier that day. They definitely get an A+ from me on the plasma and especially the service. I'm contemplating that Invertig 221 if I can get a buyer on my current machine.

Chris

Sieg
06-21-2012, 03:51 PM
HTP America / USAweld.com came through as stated!

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-QWqjR77/0/XL/IMAG2334-XL.jpg

Looks like I'll be going to self-taught night school this summer. Looking forward to the learning curve!

MoparCar
06-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Great set up! I too would love their 221 TIG. I've only heard great things about HTP and would be my first choice in an inverter TIG for the price. At least a grand less than a Miller Dynasty 200.

Let us know how it goes..

Wes

GregWeld
06-23-2012, 10:26 PM
If you can gas weld you can TIG.... exact same hand movements except you don't move the torch in a small circle - you step forward and back - dip on the backstroke - move the puddle forward - back up the torch and dip... it's just a hand dance.

:cheers:

Sieg
06-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Great set up! I too would love their 221 TIG. I've only heard great things about HTP and would be my first choice in an inverter TIG for the price. At least a grand less than a Miller Dynasty 200.

Let us know how it goes.

Wes

Thanks Wes, I'll keep you updated.

If you can gas weld you can TIG.... exact same hand movements except you don't move the torch in a small circle - you step forward and back - dip on the backstroke - move the puddle forward - back up the torch and dip... it's just a hand dance.

Thanks for the tips, I'm looking forward to experimenting with puddle movement. Starting with scraps of steel, aluminum, and stainless sheet.
Hopefully I catch on after a few hours of experimentation.

Just finished installing a dedicated 50a 250V circuit in garage for the equipment so I'll be ready to roll tomorrow afternoon.

It will be nice to have a MIG with horsepower for a change and a TIG to produce artwork quality beads........sadly (and hopefully) I won't be able to blame mediocre welds on the equipment anymore. :lol:

Sieg
06-27-2012, 03:27 PM

Last night was the first night of practice........

You left out the step: over to the bench to re-grind the tungsten. It took the dog a few re-grinds before he figured out I mad at myself not him. :D

Found a $30 3" bench grinder at Harbor Freight that works decent, hopefully I can find a finer wheel for it. Quiet and smooth........so far.

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-TvfwxVJ/0/L/IMAG2344-L.jpg

GregWeld
06-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Last night was the first night of practice........

You left out the step: over to the bench to re-grind the tungsten. It took the dog a few re-grinds before he figured out I mad at myself not him. :D

Found a $30 3" bench grinder at Harbor Freight that works decent, hopefully I can find a finer wheel for it. Quiet and smooth........so far.

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-TvfwxVJ/0/L/IMAG2344-L.jpg

Oh trust me -- you'll be doing a LOT of tungsten pointing!

Are you that old - or do you just have that many people in the shop - that you had to sticky note the grinder? :rofl:

Here's what I do on all my tungsten --- I bite the bullet and sharpen them all - all sizes - all types.... then when I FOU I just toss it in the drawer and grab another.... when I have a few I point 'em.

The real key to TIG is being able to SEE..... and a one lens helmet don't cut it... pee away another chunk of dough and get yourself a real helmet with adjustment from about 5 to 12+.... 'cause when you're doing thin stuff and only using 30 amps -- ya got to be able to see!

http://www.amazon.com/Sperian-Optrel-Satellite-Auto-Darkening-Welding/dp/B000RMJ85Y/ref=sr_1_80?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1340832387&sr=1-80

GregWeld
06-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Also --- please where a particulate mask when grinding tungsten....

AND --- Never clean ANYTHING with CHLORINATED ANYTHING.... if you use brake cleaner - use NON-Chlorinated....

Denatured alcohol works well.

2 KEYs TO TIG.... CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN.... and then be sure it's CLEAN and TIGHT fit up.

Sieg
06-28-2012, 12:28 AM
Oh trust me -- you'll be doing a LOT of tungsten pointing!

Are you that old - or do you just have that many people in the shop - that you had to sticky note the grinder? :rofl:
Especially at my age!

Here's what I do on all my tungsten --- I bite the bullet and sharpen them all - all sizes - all types.... then when I FOU I just toss it in the drawer and grab another.... when I have a few I point 'em. I like that strategy, though the cool down period after contaminating another tungsten isn't a bad thing. :D

The real key to TIG is being able to SEE..... and a one lens helmet don't cut it... pee away another chunk of dough and get yourself a real helmet with adjustment from about 5 to 12+.... 'cause when you're doing thin stuff and only using 30 amps -- ya got to be able to see! Thanks to your previous posts Optrel, my current helmet goes down to 9 and I've been running 35-80 amps and visibility isn't too bad surprisingly. The same helmet impairs vision to a degree when MIG welding.

http://www.amazon.com/Sperian-Optrel-Satellite-Auto-Darkening-Welding/dp/B000RMJ85Y/ref=sr_1_80?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1340832387&sr=1-80
It doesn't qualify for Prime, WTF!!! :rofl:

Might be worth it since a friend told me tonight that I'm no good unless I can TIG beer cans together end to end. :unibrow:

Also --- please where a particulate mask when grinding tungsten....

AND --- Never clean ANYTHING with CHLORINATED ANYTHING.... if you use brake cleaner - use NON-Chlorinated....

Denatured alcohol works well.

2 KEYs TO TIG.... CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN.... and then be sure it's CLEAN and TIGHT fit up.
Thank you :hail:

MoparCar
06-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Any pictures of your HTP equipment? I assuming it has arrived?:D

Wes

Sieg
06-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Any pictures of your HTP equipment? I assuming it has arrived?:D

Wes

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showpost.php4?p=420819&postcount=20

GregWeld
06-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Okay - Now let's see your little stack of dimes!

:lol: :woot:

MoparCar
06-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Sieg-
That is a nice stack of equipment you've got there! I agree with Greg, we need the stack of dimes! (this coming from someone who has never TIG welded once :lol: ....)

Yeah, give us a review when you have some time in on the equipment.

Wes

Sieg
06-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Okay - Now let's see your little stack of dimes!

:lol: :woot:

OK, I can handle that request.

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-nVZc3dX/0/XL/IMAG2375-XL.jpg
:yes:

Rick D
06-30-2012, 02:57 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Now that's funny sh!t right there!! :thumbsup:

OK, I can handle that request.

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-nVZc3dX/0/XL/IMAG2375-XL.jpg
:yes:

GregWeld
07-01-2012, 10:07 PM
:bow: :bow: :bow: :cheers:

Sieg
07-09-2012, 12:20 AM
:bow: :bow: :bow: :cheers:
:unibrow:

Here's the second practice session. Stainless w/o filler just practicing working the puddle with torch and pedal.
http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-M2v4V9D/1/XL/IMAG2597-XL.jpg

GregWeld
07-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Looks good Scott!

When you get the hang of it - and you're on your way - you'll just LOVE TIG.

Whenever there's something to weld - I'll grab the TIG over the MIG any day.

Also for easy puddle work -- get yourself some silicon bronze rod.

MoparCar
07-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Looks good Scott!

When you get the hang of it - and you're on your way - you'll just LOVE TIG.

Whenever there's something to weld - I'll grab the TIG over the MIG any day.

Also for easy puddle work -- get yourself some silicon bronze rod.

Sieg-Looks Great! Nice work.

Greg,
Is the silicon bronze rod some of the custom shops use (DSE, Holohans, Troy's, etc.) for sheet metal joints just standard old silicon bronze rod such as you would use with a O/A gas welding set-up or is it a particular alloy to use with TIG?

Thanks-Wes

GregWeld
07-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Sieg-Looks Great! Nice work.

Greg,
Is the silicon bronze rod some of the custom shops use (DSE, Holohans, Troy's, etc.) for sheet metal joints just standard old silicon bronze rod such as you would use with a O/A gas welding set-up or is it a particular alloy to use with TIG?

Thanks-Wes

Wes -- forgot to add --- YES --- Gas welding SB rod uses a flux or flux coating - TIG does not.

http://metalshapers.org/101/covell/covell-silbronze.shtml

Sieg
07-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Wes -- forgot to add --- YES --- Gas welding SB rod uses a flux or flux coating - TIG does not.

http://metalshapers.org/101/covell/covell-silbronze.shtml

Thanks for asking Wes and thanks for the info Greg!

TIG is very challenging in a good way. Beside requiring a lot of basic knowledge education it appears to require a LOT of seat time. My argon bottle isn't going to last too long. :D

Regarding helmets, my cheapie goes down to 9 but on it's scale something around 7-8 would be an improvement. I see an Optrel or comparable in the future.

I've also noticed you can't put too good a grind on the tungsten, it definitely impacts the arc shape and performance. Maybe I can get a package deal on a helmet and grinder. :rofl:

Wish I had a Surgar Momma to support my perfectionist traits.............:willy:

Yes Greg YOU told me so........

MoparCar
07-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the replys.
Greg, I appreciate the link to the SB rod. That's exactly what I needed!
Wes

Sieg
07-09-2012, 11:16 PM
First attempt at an outside corner with 16 ga. to 3/32 wall 1/2 tube.

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-P4VzgtN/1/L/IMAG2598-L.jpg

Not real pretty but with every attempt there is progress.

GregWeld
07-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Too much heat -- and moving too fast to try to keep up with the heat?

TIG is more finesse. If you have too much heat - back off the throttle.... CONTROL.

How well can you see? Can you see the part lines? Can you see the puddle develop? Can you see it freeze when you add fil?

GregWeld
07-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Here's another little "welding" tip....

When doing something with "endings" -- start a tack 1/4" or less from the end and run it to the end -- back off the heat as you come up to the end and double dip @ the end just before lifting completely.... hold your torch for the post gas period..

Always weld up your corners or ends first. Place a couple quick tacks along the run so your metal doesn't gap out ahead of you. And tap your work down to close up any gaps created by the tacks.

Now go back and start your run. Go right thru the tiny tacks you made like they're not even there.

Any time you're finishing - dab twice or you get a crater or pin hole and don't just let off the gas pedal sharply. Anticipate the end of the run or the end of the piece and start to back off the heat - as the heat is already built up and has no where to go - which is why you should close up your corners or ends first... so you don't get down there with all this heat and just blow it up. :cheers:

Sieg
07-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Too much heat -- and moving too fast to try to keep up with the heat?Probably, still getting a feel for the throttle, engine, and steering input of the machine.

TIG is more finesse. If you have too much heat - back off the throttle.... CONTROL.Trying to find the sweet spots between creating the puddle without over-penetrating the material and controlling width. With wire my tendancy was not using enough heat so I'm being more aggressive experimenting with the TIG. I'm learning, the TIG requires more patience than the MIG. I haven't tried anything thicker than 3/32, working with some larger scale 1/8 and 3/16 plate would probably help the learning curve.

How well can you see? Can you see the part lines? Can you see the puddle develop? Can you see it freeze when you add fil?I can see OK but a helmet that would go 1-2 shades lighter wouldn't hurt but I can see real good when I get the rod stuck in the fricken puddle!

I need to hit YouYube and find some video's of close up the correct actions to understand right/wrong quicker.

Appreciate your input. :thumbsup:

GregWeld
07-13-2012, 09:36 PM
tNYmo2_DI6c

GregWeld
07-13-2012, 09:50 PM
A good tip for tacking....

fpIJ8rN7UFc&feature=related

Sieg
07-14-2012, 01:53 AM
Thanks Buddy! Good video's. :thumbsup:
Advanced welding Kama Sutra for Dummies. :D

GregWeld
07-14-2012, 09:10 AM
TIG is so different from MIG....

I like the guy at WeldingTipsandTricks.com -- he's very good at "normal" talk.. and explains it so I understand the REASONING so if I want to I can modify what I've learned.

Since "WE" don't actually weld all the time -- "WE" forget sometimes the little tricks... and if I have a project that requires me to do nice - I'll watch a video beforehand just to get it in my mind.

The thing about the kind of welding we do -- I'll do aluminum... then I have to build something in Stainless... then I have an overhead in steel to fix a floorpan... then I won't weld for weeks... and we work on thin - and thick - inside corners - rounds - etc.... but we don't do this day in and day out. :cheers:

GregWeld
07-14-2012, 09:28 AM
I use this calculator -- again -- because I never can remember from one project to another. I actually have the "app" on my iPhone!

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/calculators/tig_amperage_calculator.php

GregWeld
07-14-2012, 11:28 AM
I just ordered this --- I personally LOVE my Optrel -- but sometimes friends are over and want to watch so I grabbed this for them to wear. It has a range starting at 5... Lots of my TIG is done at 8

I keep two separate helmets for MIG... one for me one for buddies... they get the crap version! HA! I just don't like to have to re-do all the settings when I'm working - so hang them on the appropriate machine.

http://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Welding-Helmet-TRUESIGHT-Auto-Dark/dp/B0050D9ADK/ref=sr_1_16?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1342282845&sr=1-16&keywords=jackson+welding+helmet

Sieg
07-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks G-Dub, awesome input as usual. :thumbsup:

Made the first save with the TIG today repairing a guillotine tile cutter that was severely violated by one of our installers........$500 save. :unibrow:

MoparCar
07-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Awesome. Good place to start by fixing equipment. I've done the same but with mig for some of our equipment.

Wes

GregWeld
07-15-2012, 11:41 PM
I used to live on Yarrow Point - a "high end" little point of land... and the neighbors hated me - because, of course, I have loud rowdy hot rods... They loved me once they figured out I could weld up their garbage can lid and fix their gate etc....

Sieg
07-16-2012, 04:57 PM
I used to live on Yarrow Point - a "high end" little point of land... and the neighbors hated me - because, of course, I have loud rowdy hot rods... They loved me once they figured out I could weld up their garbage can lid and fix their gate etc....

.......or operate a screwdriver. It amazes me how many highly educated people have next to zero mechanical knowledge or skills anymore. :D

My smart neighbors are waiting for me to get a little more practiced. :lol:

PS - I'm very fortunate to have real good neighbors, of the 22 homes there's only a couple stuffies. :thumbsup:

Sieg
07-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Too much heat -- and moving too fast to try to keep up with the heat?

TIG is more finesse. If you have too much heat - back off the throttle.... CONTROL.

How well can you see? Can you see the part lines? Can you see the puddle develop? Can you see it freeze when you add fil?

I think one issue I was having was the grind on the tungsten with my high-dollar grider was too coarse, I've since modified the grinder wheel with 180 grit sanding disk on the side and that puts a nice finish on the tungsten.

A little funny - I switched to AC to practice on aluminum then switched the AC off and started running bead on 16 gauge to get a feel for the differences in metal..........I don't think the machine switches back without powering down........either way I proceded to securely weld 1" of that 16 guage to my 1/4" work top. :D

Garage Dog 65
07-17-2012, 10:44 AM
What Optrel are you running Greg ? Satellite or Orion - or one of the others ? They are sweet !

Thx !

Jim

GregWeld
07-17-2012, 12:44 PM
What Optrel are you running Greg ? Satellite or Orion - or one of the others ? They are sweet !

Thx !

Jim

I have the Satellite Jim.... and love it.

I'm old and need the range that this helmet gives me... since you're eyesight declines with age... and what I find is that my younger buddies will run say a 10 and I might be a 9 or an 8... Especially with low TIG settings... say 30 or 40 amps.

Garage Dog 65
07-17-2012, 12:58 PM
I have the Satellite Jim.... and love it.

I'm old and need the range that this helmet gives me... since you're eyesight declines with age... and what I find is that my younger buddies will run say a 10 and I might be a 9 or an 8... Especially with low TIG settings... say 30 or 40 amps.

Thx !

I thought you'd prefer the satellite - the capability on that is pretty amazing !

I have the same issue with seeing the weld. I'm 52 and just about ready to get a prescription just for welding use. With a limited range of near distance focus on my glasses I just can't ever seem to stay in the range trying to weld anything on the car. While working on the bench - most of the time I can setup and config to compensate for the vision problem, but it's still tough to stay in position around a tube or something.

Jim

GregWeld
07-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Thx !

I thought you'd prefer the satellite - the capability on that is pretty amazing !

I have the same issue with seeing the weld. I'm 52 and just about ready to get a prescription just for welding use. With a limited range of near distance focus on my glasses I just can't ever seem to stay in the range trying to weld anything on the car. While working on the bench - most of the time I can setup and config to compensate for the vision problem, but it's still tough to stay in position around a tube or something.

Jim

I wear bifocals -- overhead or that kind of stuff - I have to really plan my moves in advance. If you can't see - you can't weld. Well you can - but it looks like crap... I'm not good enough at it that I can just forge ahead blind.
Bifocals are a total pain -- move your head just a bit and you're out of focus.

MoparCar
09-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Any updates or extended reviews of your HTP TIG ?

Sieg
09-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Any updates or extended reviews of your HTP TIG ?Yes, after another recent testing session I've confirmed the machine is just fine and my aging eyes suck! I need a GOOD helmet that goes to shade 7, my mediocre helmet with 9-13 range doesn't cut it for TIG, no problem with MIG. I just can't see the perimeter of the puddle well enough.

HTP America/USAWeld customer service and support has been exceptional. :thumbsup:

MoparCar
09-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the update. Great to hear that the HTP units are doing well. I've never heard anything but the best about HTP.

Time for the $400 Optrel ! :yes:

Wes

Sieg
09-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Time for the $400 Optrel ! :yes:

Wes

:( :D :thumbsup:

GregWeld
09-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Raise your game old man!

:thumbsup:

Sieg
09-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Raise your game old man!

:thumbsup:I'm waiting for Optrel to come out with graphics you can't resist then I'll place a bid on your sweaty sloppy seconds. :unibrow:

Seriously - I need to find someone local that has a good helmet I can test drive to confirm it's not a major lack of talent. :yes:

GregWeld
09-23-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm waiting for Optrel to come out with graphics you can't resist then I'll place a bid on your sweaty sloppy seconds. :unibrow:

Seriously - I need to find someone local that has a good helmet I can test drive to confirm it's not a major lack of talent. :yes:

Email me your address I send you two different helmets you can try out.

I think I like my newest one better than my Optrel.... but it's all personal choice of course.

Sieg
09-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Email me your address I send you two different helmets you can try out.

I think I like my newest one better than my Optrel.... but it's all personal choice of course.

I missed it! What's your newest one?

GregWeld
09-23-2012, 07:39 PM
I missed it! What's your newest one?

The viewing area on this is huge -- helps with my bifocals.... I like the controls on the inside -- it's multi use -- torch etc -- kinda nice... it fits well - adjusts well... and I look real mean wearing it!

The inside shot has the model and brand... :cheers:

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Shop%20Pix/1c814111.jpg

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Shop%20Pix/IMG_2911_zps29eb59d6.jpg

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Shop%20Pix/IMG_2913_zpse1be1139.jpg

GregWeld
09-23-2012, 07:46 PM
MpJ2nLASHiI

GregWeld
09-23-2012, 07:48 PM
My new Jackson is GREAT!

This is a review of an older cheaper model -- you get what you pay for. Pay me now or pay me later - there's a reason people say that.

Sieg
09-23-2012, 09:58 PM
How does this Radnor helmet compare spec wise to your Jackson W60?
http://www.airgas.com/browse/productDetail.aspx?Category=422&product=RAD64005221
Solar panel vs AAA batteries?

GregWeld
09-23-2012, 10:24 PM
So here's what happens with my solar powered Optrel.... I might not weld more than 5 minutes worth - for weeks at a time... maybe a couple months go by... and the Optrel is DOA..... and needs to be laid outside in the sun to recharge. Guess what happens with that in the winter in the Pacific NorthWET.

If you're welding all the time - it stays charged up. Kinda hard to weld enough to charge it up - so that I can actually use it to weld with huh?

Good enough answer?

If I'm doing a big azz project - it's not a problem... but I own FOUR helmets... so if the Optrel isn't working - it's pretty easy to grab another. :D

It's like the stupid 1/4" drive digital Snap-On torque wrench --- how often is it used - I always take the batteries out -- then have to find some and load it up for the 3 bolts that need torquing. Never again.... just give me a friggin' tool that works when I pick it up!

GregWeld
09-23-2012, 10:48 PM
How does this Radnor helmet compare spec wise to your Jackson W60?

Just to show you that I'm not "hide bound" to any one brand.... I present you with the Weld welding helmet collection... To wit: Optrel - Speedglass - Jackson - Radnor

The Radnor is a pile of crap. End of story.

I will send you TWO to try out - since I do actually use this stuff - believe it or not... when I'm not posting on Lat G. You pick two - forget the Radnor you won't like it.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Fun%20Fotos/IMG_2916_zpsabad4151.jpg

Sieg
09-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Bradington Young wingback recliner? Nice shop furniture, I'm sitting in mine. :yes:

GregWeld
09-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Bradington Young wingback recliner? Nice shop furniture, I'm sitting in mine. :yes:

Yes! I just moved it and the desk and a couple other chairs down from the mezzanine -- because I bought all new "hot rod" furniture at SEMA last year and finally got around to assembling it and put it up there. With two kids -- one of them will want this "old" stuff. The Bradington I might keep.

I was a furniture rep / distributor for years.... I have connections still. :>)

The new stuff!:D

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Shop%20Pix/IMG_2841_zps0b7a1a90.jpg

Ketzer
09-24-2012, 09:08 AM
My new Jackson is GREAT!

This is a review of an older cheaper model -- you get what you pay for. Pay me now or pay me later - there's a reason people say that.

I am thinking I should try one of these also. I just about have to put a spotlight on my work to be able see it. Maybe my 5 year old Miller isn't cutting it?

Jeff-

GregWeld
09-24-2012, 09:18 AM
I am thinking I should try one of these also. I just about have to put a spotlight on my work to be able see it. Maybe my 5 year old Miller isn't cutting it?

Jeff-

Jeff -- OLD eyes just aren't as sharp as young ones are... and the helmets are like anything else - the technology just keeps improving.

What I think is a good advantage for the Jackson W60 -- is that for most guys with only ONE helmet to buy -- it will do A LOT... Comfort is a personal thing so that's why I think people need to try stuff out. With TIG -- and thin materials - the RANGE is important.

Ketzer
09-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks GW. My eyes are only 47 but they've been behind rapidly thickening glasses for most of that time. I said my Miller was 5 years old but it turns out it's 10. Way before digital, still has turn knobs inside. Has been a good tool but I could use another.
Also, probably not a big deal to most, batteries. My Miller uses a funky numbered watch battery that isn't everywhere. Would be nice to throw a couple AAAs in there and be done.

Jeff-

Sieg
10-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Actually felt like I started to grasp this TIG stuff experimenting tonight..... gradual heat, puddle, speed, positioning, motion, patience. This photo is with stainless and no filler.......baby steps.

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-QW76bvX/0/XL/IMAG2922-XL.jpg

Another bottle of Argon and a good helmet and who knows. :D

GregWeld
10-02-2012, 09:16 AM
It's the right color.... I see dimes in there...

Not bad for an old blind guy!

:lol:

Sieg
10-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Friend brought by something for me to practice on:

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-NF5Kc3F/0/L/IMAG3072-L.jpg

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-kpXLm6B/0/L/IMAG3070-L.jpg

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-vTVMrKb/0/L/IMAG3071-L.jpg

:brix:

GregWeld
10-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Remember that the bars - or ANYTHING you weld - will move as you heat and cool... so use spacers to hold the bars side to side.. and don't forget to clamp!

Many "beginning" welders - self taught especially - fail to understand the importance of clamping... and then can't get why their stuff isn't the same as the pro.

I've seen these grills being made at Dan Finks -- and the entire thing is in a FIXTURE.

Ketzer
10-18-2012, 09:36 AM
-- and the entire thing is jigged up.

Put in a fixture. Didn't Rodger teach you anything?!? :lol:

Jeff-

Sieg
10-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Spacers, shims, safety wire, zip ties, and clamps..........and no fricken talent. Not a good combination. :D

I tried a couple bars last night, between the small tight 90* angle, contamination and metal movement it's a "slight" challenge that may be passed on to another hero. :yes:

GregWeld
10-20-2012, 07:27 AM
If it was easy... the fat chicks could do it!

Welding really is far harder than most people think. As you've found out - the angles - the set up - the different metallurgy. Wait til you need to make a perfect weld upside-down and left handed. :thumbsup:

GregWeld
10-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Put in a fixture. Didn't Rodger teach you anything?!? :lol:

Jeff-

FINE! I fixededed it.